From photo to acrylic carving, 3 easy steps

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

From photo to acrylic carving, 3 easy steps

Post by Keith Hodges »

Been doing acrylics for almost a year now. Finding line art to carve is easy. But I started getting a lot of requests for acrylic carvings of customers personal favorite cars. I stumbled onto an app at the App Store on my iPhone, called Photo to sketch that turns photos into line art. At least almost there anyway. It's a free app. And takes a lot of work out of the conversion. Then, on to another free program for the computer, GIMP, remove all the unwanted clutter, then on to creating vectors to carve the picture. First picture is a 2010 Camero belonging to my customer. Next photo what Photo to Sketch does to it. Last picture, the carving after GIMP cleanup and loading in V carve pro 7.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

basecircle

Re: From photo to acrylic carving, 3 easy steps

Post by basecircle »

Wow Keith that is cool.keep cranking them out Basecircle

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Very nice Keith. Just keep them coming.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Gary just shared this link with me. Pretty much the same as my phone app for creating lineart from photos, only this is a free download for your computer. Simply load your photo, move the slider bars for the best look, and save. That's what's so great about this site, sharing. Thanks Gary.

http://clipping-path-studio.com/instant-photo-sketch/
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

baby15

Post by baby15 »

Keith Hodges wrote:Been doing acrylics for almost a year now. Finding line art to carve is easy. But I started getting a lot of requests for acrylic carvings of customers personal favorite cars. I stumbled onto an app at the App Store on my iPhone, called Photo to sketch that turns photos into line art. At least almost there anyway. It's a free app. And takes a lot of work out of the conversion. Then, on to another free program for the computer, GIMP, remove all the unwanted clutter, then on to creating vectors to carve the picture. First picture is a 2010 Camero belonging to my customer. Next photo what Photo to Sketch does to it. Last picture, the carving after GIMP cleanup and loading in V carve pro 7.
I JUST BOUGHT THE PRO EDITION. THANKS. IT IS PRETTY COOL

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Baby 15, from what I've seen in using the free version, that's probably all I'll use, but, what will you be using that's different in the pro version?

baby15

Post by baby15 »

Keith Hodges wrote:Baby 15, from what I've seen in using the free version, that's probably all I'll use, but, what will you be using that's different in the pro version?
what I had was 7 day trial.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Ok, got cha. Looks like it just give you different ways to enhance photos, which is fine for photo albums and such, but I didn't see anything of interest for CNC carving. So I'll just stick with the free version, which still seems pretty nice.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Another quick carving from real photo, to line art, to acrylic carving. Turned out pretty nice.

OK, I give up on the position of the third photo. I took all three photos with my iPhone, loaded into this forum the same, and the top two came out fine. I edited the third photo, resending it several times, rotating it, etc., and it refuses to display upright. So, everyone will just have to flip their computer screens. Don't know if its IPhones fault, or this darned Windows 8. It is what it is I guess.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
photo3.JPG