Retirement Project

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

RobieMo

Retirement Project

Post by RobieMo »

Here is a project that I just finished for my Boss who recently retired. I was trying to wrap my pea brain around the puzzle of inlays but ultimately panicked and ended up cutting the flames by hand. This was my first (and last) time cutting inlays by hand. Everything else was done with the shark. I cut rings and used them as jigs to keep all the letters lined up. I used 7 different type of wood for the project:

Red Flames = Padauk
Yellow Flames = Yellow Heart
Blue Background = Pine with blue stain
Outside Letters = Alder
Inside Letters = Red Oak
Eagle = Wenge
Base = Walnut

The plaque is about 19" round by 1 1/4" thick.

Hope you like. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the pic???
Rob
Attachments
Camp 11.JPG

drueth

Re: Retirement Project

Post by drueth »

Rob

It looks great . As far as doing an inlay. The one point I found that is not really covered well. IS make a test cut I found this to work the best for my pea brain. Draw a 2" square. Inside of the 2" square layout a 1" square. make the depth of cut 0.25" . Use a pocket toll path to cut out between the two squares. IF the 2" square is less than 2" and the 1" is more than 1" your bitt is LESS than what it says it is. This is what I found for most EM and V bits. If the outline of the 2" square deeps in or out you need to set the geometry of the bit up or down until you can cut a 2" square and it looks good and measure 2" +-.005 .
Again GREAT work
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Drueth is correct, I ALWAYS make test cuts of inlays on scraps before committing expensive veneers.

Also, you do NOT need to use the "Inlay Tool" in VCarve to get great results, but you do need to be mindful of sharp corners and the fact that the inlay MUST be smaller than the pocket to fit. Typically about 0.014".

So round over all the sharp corners on your drawing by the radius of your bit, and program both the pocket and the inlay off the same vectors, but offset the pocket to the outside and the inlay to the inside by 0.007" each.

Ralph

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Very nice job Ralph.Good paint job,And the Inlays and veneers are fantasic.HOOOORAH Basecircle

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Very nice work. To rotate, open on your computer in whatever program that you use to view photos then rotate and save.

gordread

Post by gordread »

That looks very nice. Not all work needs to be done on the shark to be impressive. :)