Engraving

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

MarkB611

Engraving

Post by MarkB611 »

Might have a job coming up to engrave. Question was can I do it on my shark.

1st engraving test ...it works.

Here it is. The size of the plaque is 2.5" x 3.5"
Used a 60deg V-bit

I will use a better jig and I plan to get a couple of engraving bits.
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG

basecircle

Re: Engraving

Post by basecircle »

Looks good Mark.All ya need is some Kerning on some of the words. You could also put a border or some scroll work. How many do you have to do? Good luck Basecircle

MarkB611

Post by MarkB611 »

It was a really big job that would have taken months..Too bad for me my contact was overwritten because of a family connection.

It would have been 1000-1300 pieces. That would have been nice.

The good.. I bought a diamond, spring loaded drag bit on Ebay for $50.00. Going to try a little brass.. :)

I also bought a 1/8" collet for the Porter Cable router. I will use this with some actual engraving bits I have for a motorized Pantograph I have never used.

I'll post results next week so others can see and maybe try some engraving.

MarkB611

Post by MarkB611 »

Thanks basecircle..

Are the letters too close too much space between some letters?

Have to learn more on spacing..

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Man mark it is a big job . Wow. You got your self a diamond drag bit.I too have one.There great.And besides brass,alu,even steel.I love the cut on cast acrylic plastic .Oh by the way look at how to do the kerning in the help section.Good luck. Basecircle

MarkB611

Post by MarkB611 »

Thanks basecircle.

I know how to do kerning just not sure what is "proper" kerning.

Job fell apart but still will work at it.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi mark.I really do not know what Proper kerning is .I mean look at the words and adjust the spacing as needed.I added a pic of your plate with some arrows in areas i would have kerned .Keep running more projects and have fun. Basecircle
Attachments
mark kern.JPG

MarkB611

Post by MarkB611 »

Ah..Got it. Thanks..Will post more soon

damauk

Post by damauk »

I have done a decent amount of engraving on my shark using Vcarves "plate production" http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... uction.pdf

When I do a batch I have issues with the depth of engraving being uneven (this is problem because of uneven clamping pressure. How are you holding your work pieces?

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi Damauk I hold my pcs.for engraving in different ways.First take a skim cut on your spoiler board.(this will flatten the cutting surface) Or Sometimes i take a scrap and cut a pocket or a straight wall to bump the brass up to.that will take out the unevenness.Another way i used my little vacuum clamp.you can buy them on line or make your own.the last thing i use is a engraving vice.that works great.Now when I use my diamond drag tool ya do not have to worry about flatness It's spring loaded.Well I hope you can use some of my Ideas .I'am sure others will chime in.on this subject. Basecircle