Military funeral flag case

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Keith Hodges

Military funeral flag case

Post by Keith Hodges »

Been doing a flag display case for my fathers military funeral flag. Plenty of cases on the market, but wanted to do this myself. Don't like the joints at the three corners, so designed this using profile and pocket cuts. Took six 3/4 inch pieces of stock for the triangle case, then extra for the carved logos and insignia, a lot of material, Hickory in this case, but as far as I'm concernered, worth it. The bottom was pocketed, the four spacers were profiled, as was the top, along with some pockets to create the rabbited edge. Four individually carved logo's, and two pocketed pieces for shell casings and photograph. The first carving is the Army Air Corp logo, which dad served in before the Air Force came into being. The next the US Air Force insignia, which he transferred into later. Third carving is a pocketed shelf to hold 3 shell casings from his 21 gun salute at grave site. Next is just a pocket, framing the photograph. Next carving his military rank. And last The Strtegic Air Command insignia in which he served most of his 30 years service. I hand painted everything except the photograph. Lots of time in this project, but a labor of love that will occupy a place of honor in my home.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

jimsr1959

Re: Military funeral flag case

Post by jimsr1959 »

That is very nice , I have been wanting to do one
with my fathers also .

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Very well done, thanks for posting. I wanna do one for my father's funeral flag also. Like how you did yours.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Special thanks to your Father for his service. Very beautiful honor....
Dash

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Keith very very nice.You put alot of heart in that.It will hang nicely in your home."Hooorah" Basecircle