Praying Hands carving

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BobA

Re: Praying Hands carving

Post by BobA »

Good Morning Bob,

Thanks for responding.

14-a and 14-b was on a Cut3D Starter Collection I received with Cut3D. I received 20 models in the collection. There are 3 versions with each model. 14-A is an indented model with a straight wall outside the Praying Hands. 14-B is a dished out version starting at the bottom of the Praying Hands and flowing up to the top of my board in a circle that goes around the Praying Hands . 14-C is the same as 14-A but the outside wall is scalloped instead of straight. I assumed 14-A was meant to be cut out so I added a cutout TP and cut it out.

Anyway, about 11:00 PM I tried using Vector Art 3D Machinists (the free version) and stumbled upon a way of copying to a TAP that could be imported into VCarve Pro Plus I was up until 3:30 AM today and cut all but the finish pass on the Praying Hands. I loaded the 14-A finish TAP, returned XYZ to zero, changed to the the finish tool and turned the controller off. I am hoping I can go to my shop this morning and pick up where I left off.

I will make pictures and send at a later reply. I am sure there is a better way of doing this.

Later,
Bob

BobA

Post by BobA »

Hi Bob,

I completed finish tool path of the Praying Hands slowed down to 25%. I used a 1/8" ball end mill and this took 1-1/2 hours to cut. I have attached the three models I cut. The finish was great on the Hands but my pocket lacked something to be desired.

I guess I will have to keep up with the forum topics on steps. I hate to mess with trying to tilt the router square Because it is so close to being correct I can barely fill the variation in the pocket.

Again if anyone has a better idea I would appreciate.

Thanks,
Bob
Attachments
Praying Hands 009A.JPG

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob
Your pictures show that you know what you're doing. Your work looks great!
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob,
When you are setting up your cutting options in Cut 3D, you set your background in step #2: Material Size And Margin.
In the Machining Margins Around Model section just set the margins you want.
Skip step #5: Cutout Toolpath.
Try the simulation and see if it's what you wanted.
I just cut another one and it took about 2 1/2 hours for the rough and finish cuts combined.
Bob
"Focus"

BobA

Post by BobA »

Bob,

In step 2 in Cut3D I am unable to deselect Symmetrical or Use Model Silhouette. I have tried putting 1.0 in the blank beside Symmetrical. I cut from the Cut3D program and I could tell no difference from leaving blank. I just now created a new program and put 6.0. I previewed the tool Paths and again I do not see no effect. I saved the Tap file and I was able to import into VCarve Pro. That answered one of my questions. When you run the Praying Hand model, like the picture you posted.

1. What size is the model you are cutting?
2. Are you using Cut3D or VCarve to cut?
3. Is your model above the material around the outside of the hands?
(This is what the picture looked like to me.)

Bob

Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob,
Be sure that you're using the .stl file. not the V3M, or RLF. I tried the V3M but did not have the options to change the borders. I'm using Cut3D, not the free version. While setting up the parameters I specified a material thickness of 1.25 inches. (This is not real critical because I was only cutting about .625 inches deep.)
The entire carving is about 10" X 8". The model is cut into the material to a depth of .625 inches.

Be sure that you are using the .stl file. It sounds like you might be using a V3M file, and that would definitely be causing your problems.

How did you get a starter collection? I checked with Tony McKenzie (Vectric) and he said that they have never included starter collections with their Cut3D software.

Bob
"Focus"

Buc

Post by Buc »

Bob,

Really nice project. Excellant choice of material for the first picture you posted. Nice job.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I can only echo Buc's comment - very nice.

You mention a few posts ago that you didn't like the pocket. It's hard to tell from the picture - what didn't you like?

When you run the Ball Nose for the 3D carving - are you also using it to cut the pocket?

Another alternative to Cut3D is using Vector Art's 3D Machinist. While both do the same thing, and Cut3D is a little more powerful, I've found that when using Vector Art's models, VA3D is the most straight forward. One of you Bob's mentioned discovery on the workflow. A post on this is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=387 (for what it's worth).

Again - nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Joe,
That was the other Bob.
Bob
"Focus"

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

LOL - I was waiting for that. I figured the right "Bob" would chime in if desired. In either case, I appreciate the discussion and the view of the projects.