Uh oh

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BillK

Re: Uh oh

Post by BillK »

Keith,

What I do for keyholes is I have two tap files, one for a horizontal and one for a vertical, both created with the keyhole gadget in Vectric. I set them up so the intial plunge is at 0,0. That way I do exactly what you do, clamp my part, jog to where I want the keyhole, zero x, y, and z then run one of the tap files. The depth and length (1.5") are always the same.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi Keith and rob.Keith just to let you know I was cutting the bread box front out.Did all the 3d work did full 3/4 radius and went into profiling .When all of a sudden my dust boot hit the clamp and let the finished part loose.IT proceeded to cut a deep smile into my finished pc.(that's what Happened).Any way I see that Rob is having trouble with keyhole slots.Here is how I do it.Put a 5/16 circle where you want to put the keyslot in.Go into the gadgets and pick keyhole slots.Fill out the sheet as to where and witch way ya wanna go.(make sure you hilight the 5/16 hole) I lie to the software and say o am using a 1/4 e m .when you hit enter.I will make a program for you pick it up, zero out,and go.It will sink to depth you programed.It will feed in direction and then back and up.DONE. Give it a shot. Basecircle

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Doing the keyhole really isn't a problem, just such a simple operation to do manualy. Since all stock is different thicknesses, I just move the bit next to the stock, zero where I want the depth at, then jog to the location where I want it. Takes maybe a minute total. But, their is no wrong way, or right way, just our way.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

"OH YEAH" Keith .we are having fun with this.Have a good week. Basecircle

mmatarella

Post by mmatarella »

I've gotten to the point now that I do all possible other work that might cause an 'oops' before I carve. Keyholes, ogee edges on plaques etc. Even if I still do the carving too deep into the keyhole, I will probably catch it part way through and save an hour or three. :-) I hated carving a couple hours then having a simple ogee edge at the 'regular' router table tear out and ruin something. Been there, done that. I have a stack of oops pieces I save for test carves.