New 3d Model

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

robthowells

New 3d Model

Post by robthowells »

Had this model made at PeopleforHire.com from a Jpeg. Still needs work. The finish was rough and requires a lot of sanding. Broke a bit during the process. But we are gettin there.
Attachments
First run took over 3 hours to cut.
First run took over 3 hours to cut.

tonydude

Re: New 3d Model

Post by tonydude »

Looks good so far. Change the stepover on your tool to get a better finish. I use between 8-10% stepover on my tool bits. See example. When I do 3D work I never have to sand.

Tony
Attachments
stepover.JPG
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

robthowells

Post by robthowells »

Thanks for the tip. The machine times are crazy any way to speed that up?
tonydude wrote:Looks good so far. Change the stepover on your tool to get a better finish. I use between 8-10% stepover on my tool bits. See example. When I do 3D work I never have to sand.

Tony

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

It's either smooth finish with long carving time or you do a lot of sanding. I like no sanding, less labor.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

BillK

Post by BillK »

You might want to check out this post http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1672

You should set your stepover for your ball end mill by the size of the endmill to get both the finish you want and the time efficiency. Use the chart. I am very happy with a .0003 high stepover cusp for finish. With a 1/8 ball that equals 10% stepover. With a 1/16" ball its a 14% stepover.

Your times can also be affected by your feed and plunge rates. You are taking very small amounts off with low stepovers so you can work to higher speeds. 70 ipm for feed and 25 ipm for plunge are common for me in hardwoods. Your machine and router might be able to handle more.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

robthowells

Post by robthowells »

Thanks for the advice. I figured it was one or the other. But I'll play around with the feed rate a bit.

[
quote="BillK"]You might want to check out this post http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1672

You should set your stepover for your ball end mill by the size of the endmill to get both the finish you want and the time efficiency. Use the chart. I am very happy with a .0003 high stepover cusp for finish. With a 1/8 ball that equals 10% stepover. With a 1/16" ball its a 14% stepover.

Your times can also be affected by your feed and plunge rates. You are taking very small amounts off with low stepovers so you can work to higher speeds. 70 ipm for feed and 25 ipm for plunge are common for me in hardwoods. Your machine and router might be able to handle more.[/quote]