Mirror MSU clock

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

basecircle

Mirror MSU clock

Post by basecircle »

Hi gang Bout time I showed you what I have been up to. I seen a clock made By Xxray this guy has alot of nice work.So I took a Idea he did and made a clock from 1/4 plexi mirror.Its the MSU Spartans.It's a present for a friend of mine.I used my diamond drag bit. And carved everything backwards.The base is walnut and Iam using l e ds (Green)and a power supply.I used a clear case on the clock movement.I also V-Carved the word SPARTAN.It was alot of fun to make. I have some inline switches on order.It will give it a cleaner look. I have one more to show. Hope you like it. Basecircle
Attachments
021.JPG
007.JPG
024.JPG

Keith Hodges

Re: Mirror MSU clock

Post by Keith Hodges »

Again, very nice. Seems like we've about reached the limits of our imagination with v carving, so, nice to see a new avenue of fun.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi Keith Thanks.Have you ever started working with the Probe?-I gotta get on that. Basecircle

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Haven't played with the probe yet, but I did do my first diamond drag bit today. A Mayan calendar. It's 10 x 10. Came out really nice. Got some trimming of the surrounding acrylic to center the calendar tomorrow, and will post a picture when done. Don't want to take the protective paper off the back until after cutting it down to size to avoid scratches. I've included a picture just to give you a tidbit to look at. The file was a freebie from CarveOne on the Vetric forum. I had a minor problem with the diamond bit. I knew from research that the bit was spring loaded and supposed to contract with pressure. Mine was froze solid. I carved the calendar anyway. Thought maybe the cold weather had caused the bit to stick. Had 72 degrees today, so figured it would free up. Didn't. I sprayed silicon spray into it and placed into my vice, and managed to move the tip. After playing with it, it finally freed up and started working. So I'm going to do it again tomorrow. There were a couple light carved areas, so hopefully the spring activated bit will take care of that. Anyway, thanks for the inspiration to try the bit. Probably corroded due to lack of use.
Attachments
image.jpg
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Look At you my friend.That is going to be kicken.That has alot of detail in it Please post when your don doing your Magic.As for the sticking drag.Unscrew the set screw and the spring will come out and so will the diamond.Look for burrs rub down with scotchbrite. Spray her down and start cutting.As far as the Probe I have not used mine either.I will try soon. Good job Basecircle

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

I took the spring out, but had to use my vice to push the bit out, it was really stuck. Movement with silicone spray freed it up, and I'm doing another one right now. This one is 10 x 10, but had a 9 x 9 piece of acrylic standing by, so should be done in another hour or so. Even with the stuck bit it came out pretty good. I can see a spot or two that looks like it wasn't quite as deep, but I'm not telling where their at. ;0).

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

basecircle wrote:Hi gang Bout time I showed you what I have been up to. I seen a clock made By Xxray this guy has alot of nice work.So I took a Idea he did and made a clock from 1/4 plexi mirror.Its the MSU Spartans.It's a present for a friend of mine.I used my diamond drag bit. And carved everything backwards.The base is walnut and Iam using l e ds (Green)and a power supply.I used a clear case on the clock movement.I also V-Carved the word SPARTAN.It was alot of fun to make. I have some inline switches on order.It will give it a cleaner look. I have one more to show. Hope you like it. Basecircle
Hi Basecircle,
That looks terrific. I haven't seen plexi mirror until your post. Can that be cutout using 1/8" end mill or will it melt? Where did you buy the plexi mirror? I see it listed on Amazon.
Ed

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

One more question. Are you etching on the face or the mirror side?
Thank you,
Ed

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

Hi Ed Thanks for the compo.I get my acrylic 1/4 mirror from e-streetplastics.They carry 1/8 also.I also cut from the back of the mirror.It's also cut backward.So I do it normal and then mirror it.Ba Boom it's done.I saw a guy from Mich.named xxray do this.He loves his diamond drag.Oh you can cut the back using a 1/8 vee no problem.Remember it is cast acrylic.So you will not have any melting.Give it a shot. Basecircle

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you basecircle. I just started looking for diamond drag bits. It looks like Amazon has one costing about $180. I see some on eBay that cost more like $80 but I have no idea what specs that I am looking for. I'd like to get one and start playing with it. I assume these do light metals as well. Do you remember where you bought yours? Thank you for the great source for plexi mirror. Their prices are really good. The wife already has a project for me to make. :)