2nd cut3d attempt

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

damonawsgt

2nd cut3d attempt

Post by damonawsgt »

Thanks for all the input on 1st, this one came out way better! I do have a question. Say I do a half inch 3d profile, how do I get it to cut out at 3/4 inch?
Attachments
image.jpg

Keith Hodges

Re: 2nd cut3d attempt

Post by Keith Hodges »

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. By profile, are you referring to the final profile cutout?
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

damonawsgt

Post by damonawsgt »

Sorry I probably didn't word that right. Yes the final cut out. If I set the thickness of the 3d image to 1/2 inch and the thickness of the wood is 3/4 inch how would I get the cut out tool path to go all the way to 3/4 instead of the 1/2 in of the image. I mean I can always use the scroll saw or band saw to cut it out but I would rather add some tabs and have the machine do it. Some of the images I have tried if I set them to .75 when it get's done cutting parts of them are so thin that it renders them useless. I hope that makes sense. Also it works fine until I add the tabs to the image. If I don't add tabs the cut out tool path will go all the way through the material. When I add the tabs the cut out tool path stops at the whatever depth I have the image set at, i.e. .5 instead of .75 Thanks for your input Keith.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Ok, go to your toolphaths tab, highlight the profile, then click on the profile toolphaths icon. I leave my start depth at 0.0 in most cases. Then set your depth of cut to .76 or greater, inches. Then choose the tool your going to use, and edit passes if you don't like what is automatically displayed. Machine vectors is normally outside, then add your tabs. Then calculate, and save file. This will set the depth of the profile to 3/4 inch. When you save the file it will give you a warning about cutting through the material. Click ok. Your good to go.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).

damonawsgt

Post by damonawsgt »

Ok I can't find where you are referring. I should have been more specific I am trying to do this in cut3d. I can't find where it will let me change the depth for the cut out tool path. If I import it into Vcarve and click edit tool path it won't let me change the depth for the cut. I am sorry for any confusion. I truly appreciate your info as this is all still really new to me.

damonawsgt

Post by damonawsgt »

I think I figured it out. I changed the cut plane under where you add tabs from .5 to .75 and the preview looked correct. Running a test piece now to see. Thanks again Keith.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Ok, thought you were referring to V Carve Pro. Hope you figured it out. I have Cut 3D, but rarely use it.

damonawsgt

Post by damonawsgt »

I figured it out. Previous post worked! Thank you again for your input. I tried to edit it in vcarve but it would not let me change the cut depth.