first try at lithophane

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

simja65

first try at lithophane

Post by simja65 »

20150327_005111.jpg
First try at a lithophane. I wish I had read Tony's how to first. All in all not a bad first try. Done it on a piece of scrap white plexiglass. Was using just PCV to do it and couldn't get the the finish cut to cut any deeper than the rough cut. After reading Tony's how to I'm gonna give it another try on something similar to corian.
Attachments
20150327_005146.jpg

tonydude

Re: first try at lithophane

Post by tonydude »

Your step over on your tool is causing the lines. Also your line spacing is too high.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

simja65

Post by simja65 »

That one was cut with just the rough tool path line spacing at 50 %. Seen what I was doing wrong after reading your post on how to cut lithophanes. I am cutting one now following your instructions of a Model A Ford. Did get off to a bad start forgot to invert the light and dark areas and cut the rough path before figuring that out. Recalculated with them inverted and cut it again. Looking pretty good so far, it is cut a little deeper than I wanted but I'll keep for myself anyway.
Many thanks to all the guys that share your knowledge with rookies such as myself.
Attachments
Model A Ford  progress so far.
Model A Ford progress so far.

simja65

Post by simja65 »

This one turned out better. Ended up the thin in places due to me messing up in the beginning. Think I will keep it anyway. They say the third time is the charm, so will try again tomorrow.
Attachments
image2.JPG
20150328_005726.jpg
20150328_010134.jpg