Cheap, Quick Gifts

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

roger85281

Cheap, Quick Gifts

Post by roger85281 »

I am not sure about the rest of you, but it seems everyone now expects me to make them gifts. I tend to forget birthdays and other events until the last moment. Now I keep a supple of painted mdf plaques in the shop. When I need a quick gift I just carve something on it and paint it. These are some I have done for the girl friend. People seem to like them and they don’t take long to complete.
sip happens.jpg
give me coffee.jpg
wine is to women.jpg
Roger

tonydude

Re: Cheap, Quick Gifts

Post by tonydude »

Nice signs, Roger. Did you use a mask before carving? The lettering looks clean.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

roger85281

Post by roger85281 »

Like everything else, it took me a few tries to get a technique down that worked for me. I put contact paper on the pre-painted mdf. Cut it and then spray paint it. I let the spray paint dry for just a few minutes then pull off the contact paper. Put some mineral spirits on a rag and wrap it around a flat piece of wood. Wipe off the excess spray paint and I end up with clean lines. The good thing is that it doesn't take a lot of time to get to the finished product.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Very nice work Roger, I almost thought it was Corian because the lettering was so clean. If you get a chance to try it I think you would like the Corian. You don't have as much work, like pre-painting the stock, masking etc.... just carve, dob paint in, wipe it off and polish it after it dries.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Very nice work Roger, I almost thought it was Corian because the lettering was so clean. If you get a chance to try it I think you would like the Corian. You don't have as much work, like pre-painting the stock, masking etc.... just carve, dob paint in, wipe it off and polish it after it dries.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com