Finally doing acrylic

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

roger85281

Finally doing acrylic

Post by roger85281 »

St. Augustine acrylic.jpg
acrylic crucifix.jpg
I have finally started doing acrylic. I have no idea why I waited so long. The St. Augustine was done using quick engrave and a diamond drag bit. The crucifix is a 3d file. Both are 9” x 12”.

These are the first two that I have done. Please let me know if there are things I can do to improve the projects. I love this forum because there are so many helpful people. I want to learn more and also encourage others to try acrylic.

RGB LEDs and RF remotes have been ordered. Possibilities seem endless.

joesoileau

Re: Finally doing acrylic

Post by joesoileau »

Very nice. I really would like to make the one with Jesus on the cross. Where did you buy the model for that one? Thanks for sharing.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Roger,

I use a 90 v bit on some of my acrylics and also use a .0625 ball nose bit carving depth of .001-.002 deep.The cross came out nice.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

roger85281

Post by roger85281 »

I got the crucifix from Vector Art 3d. www.vectorart3d.com.

I used 1/2" acrylic and the crucifix cut to a depth of 0.4". I used a 1/8" end mill to rough and a 1/16" ball nose to finish. I was not sure if that was the right way to do it, but it came out nice.

Roger

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

That's the way I do 3d carving in acrylic also.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

joesoileau

Post by joesoileau »

Thanks guys. I bought the model and still can't produce anything. I have bought the Vcarve 8 update, bought the new router clamp, bought $200.00 worth of models today and still cannot figure out what I am doing incorrectly. I watch the tutorials yet.
This time I loaded up the Gcode to cut and the bit just stays in the bottom left corner and will not move. The G code is displayed on the left but nothing happens, like the code isn't advancing to each line of code. I know I am not a rocket scientist but feel like I should have made some progress by now to say the least. Any help you folks wouldn't mind passing on my way would be humbly appreciated.
Joe

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Are you saving the toolpath with the right post processor?

Tony
Attachments
pp.JPG
Buffalo,NY

joesoileau

Post by joesoileau »

Thanks for the reply Tony. No, that is not the one I chose. I chose the one suggested in the tutorial. I dont remember which one it was but I know for certain it is not the one you highlighted. I shall make the change and go from there.
Joe

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Joe ,

You have to have the right processor for your machine. The tutorials are for the programs, and picking the right processor in the tutorials is for that guys machine he's using as an example. Only use the post processor for the shark machine only.

here is the website for nextwaveautomation that makes the machine, check it out. http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop ... x?recid=26

Tony
Buffalo,NY

simja65

Post by simja65 »

Nice work. Want to try my hand at that one day.