Need some help with a lithophane

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mchurchf

Need some help with a lithophane

Post by mchurchf »

This is my first attempt at a lithophane and I could use some suggestions. There are some folks here that do some fantastic work I sure could use their help. I used PVC using all the settings Tony had posted on how to do a lithophane. The lower right side of the picture started out fine, but as the cut progressed you can see the lines in the corian that the ball nose didn't remove. I used .25inch corian and the touchplate was used to set the Z on the corian.
A .125 endmill and a .0625 Ballnose were used for the cut. I put a level on the corian before cutting and it was slightly off level but I didn't think it would make that much difference on a 9x6 piece, I could be wrong. I also used 3M two sided tape to hold the corian on the table. I hope I have enough info that someone had already experienced the same and can help me. Is there any suggestions on the picture itself? Thanks in advance
Attachments
pgfb.jpg

Keith Hodges

Re: Need some help with a lithophane

Post by Keith Hodges »

You say you used a .125 endmill, then .0625 ball nose. I'd use ball nose for both rough and finish. I normally use .125 for both with great results, but some photos just have too much detail, so I'll use .0625 for the finish. The finish pass should be dropped .03 to on its start depth so it will remove the lines that are showing on yours. Hope this helps. Keith.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I've been using a .0625 ball nose or a .125 ball nose bit only. No roughing pass for me anymore. Slow down the first couple lines around 35% on your control panel than up it to 100% for the rest. Make sure your stepover on your bits are 8-10%.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

mchurchf

Post by mchurchf »

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. The problem I have is in the lower right side of the picture cut real smooth but less than half way up it looks like the rough cut. The cutting lines are real pronounced. I'm not sure where I had the step over on the bits but I think around 13%.

Thanks for the help. I'll try another and see where it goes.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

On closer look, I'd check to be absolutely sure your table is flat, and level. Take Z0 readings over the four corners, as well as other locations, to make sure their all reasonably close to each other.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

mchurchf

Post by mchurchf »

I'm kinda leaning into that direction myself. I was thinking of trying to level it with an endmill but checking it with the Z0 is a good idea, thanks. I did check the bit setting and the stepover was set at 8%. I do appreciate all the input