Help! V-Carving and Engraving on Hardwood

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Help! V-Carving and Engraving on Hardwood

Post by NewAgent45 »

I have a new found interest in improving my V-Carving and Engraving directly on hardwood or on a hardwood inlay. I am not satisfied with any of my results so far. I’m working on an inlay project on a gunstock and noticed the quality of the existing factory checkering. My example looks like machine cut and not hand checkering that would be sharp like cut glass. The gunstock inlay project will be another post when completed. I’m specifically looking for improvements in V-Carving or engraving on hardwood.

The bits I’m using may be part of the issue. I have tried using a couple different common 60 deg. V-bits and small (0.0625 & 0.0312 inch) round nose bits. Most of my attempts have been with the V-bits. I’m interested in the bits you are using along with the tool parameters and depth of cut.

With text what is the smallest size I should expect to get acceptable results?

I’m also interested in what pre-finishing technique you might be using to eliminate the “fuzzys” while maintaining sharp clean edges.
I’m hoping to see your good results and get some recommendations on tools with the cutting parameters.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

… Rod

cjablonski

Re: Help! V-Carving and Engraving on Hardwood

Post by cjablonski »

With regards to v-bits, I cannot really be of help, but as to the fuzziness I may be able to assist. One method I have found works well is using down cut spirals. This forces a level of compression on the face of the material VS pulling material being pulled up. For me, this completely removes the fuzziness.
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)