caged ball

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Buc

caged ball

Post by Buc »

Thought I would give this a try. The cube is 50MM and the ball is 48MM. It took about 72 minutes to machine all six sides. Made a fixture to set the part into while machining and held it in place with hot glue.
Attachments
CagedBall.jpg
caged ball
(11.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: caged ball

Post by jeb2cav »

Nice - that is an outside of the box idea and outcome.

REG

Post by REG »

Ironic! I just finished "Meshing" this project last week but haven't cut it yet. although I did make my block. I also worked on the cube in a cube or otherwise known as the machinest cube. What bit did you select for your toolpaths. For roughing I have the 1/4" end mill and finishing is 1/8" ball nose.

One other I am toying with is sandscapes or terrain on cabinet grade plywood. The laminate layers give a awesome effect.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Used a 1/4" ball nose for rough and an 1/8" ball nose for finish.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

REG

Post by REG »

Thanks!
If you are interested in the machinest cube PM me and I will email the .v3d file to you.

I had to put everything on the side for now while I work out my son's pine wood derby car - on the Shark.

Bobby

Bob

Post by Bob »

REG wrote:Ironic! I just finished "Meshing" this project last week but haven't cut it yet. although I did make my block. I also worked on the cube in a cube or otherwise known as the machinest cube. What bit did you select for your toolpaths. For roughing I have the 1/4" end mill and finishing is 1/8" ball nose.

One other I am toying with is sandscapes or terrain on cabinet grade plywood. The laminate layers give a awesome effect.
Reg,
I don't want start a thread drift but...
I would be interested in seeing how your sandscapes turn out. I'm playing around with topographic lake maps. It would be kind of revealing so see models of underwater lake structure. I have made one map so far using the depth contour lines as my tool paths.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

REG

Post by REG »

Bob wrote:
REG wrote:Ironic! I just finished "Meshing" this project last week but haven't cut it yet. although I did make my block. I also worked on the cube in a cube or otherwise known as the machinest cube. What bit did you select for your toolpaths. For roughing I have the 1/4" end mill and finishing is 1/8" ball nose.

Reg,
I don't want start a thread drift but...
I would be interested in seeing how your sandscapes turn out. I'm playing around with topographic lake maps. It would be kind of revealing so see models of underwater lake structure. I have made one map so far using the depth contour lines as my tool paths.
Bob

No problem. In fact I just finshed making my laminated plate from 3/8" grade playwood. I made is 1.5" thick. I have the toolpath ready also, less than 20 minutes for the rough pass but the final will take 6 hours (for the terrain, it looked better in the model over the sandscape). I almost started it today but I worked on my machinest cube instead. That took about 1 hour for just the rough pass.

Bobby