Music Box

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jbyers

Re: Music Box

Post by jbyers »

That looks awesome Bob!
Jeff Byers
Shark Black Diamond owner since Feb-2014
Caledonia, WI

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Jeff. I'll bring it to the next meeting.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

I don't subscribe to that magazine either, I get a few other mags, but I'll definitely go out and buy this issue. My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter is hooked on the Frozen movie and she sings a couple songs from it. I'll work out the peg positions and see if I can make it work. She would love this music box.
Rick

Jason

Post by Jason »

Nice job Bob,
I have been drooling over this project since I saw the video in December. I like the way you changed the front using the shark to create some awesome scroll work. Looking forward to hearing it at the meeting. :ugeek:

Bob

Post by Bob »

Jason,
I can't wait to see how you incorporate the music box you're going to make, into your super duper Adirondack chair. How about squirrel powered?
Bob
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rick,
If you can figure out these directions, programming the pin location will be no problem: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/wp-co ... Layout.pdf
Bob
"Focus"

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Hi Bob,

I'm ordering some materials for my version of the Music box. I haven worked with canvas before and I don't see any reference to the weight of duck canvas to use for the slat backing. I see there is 10 oz. material and much heaver 21 oz. material out there. Can I assume the 10 oz. material will work ok? What weight canvas did you use?

I also plan to make my fixture for the slats a little different than the plan. I want to mount the fixture on my machine table and do all the drilling and reference marking of the slats on the machine. I plan to cut a rabbit on the bottom edge of the side pieces on my fixture so they will act as a hold-down for the slats when drilling. In order to get the hole spacing correct. I will take a measurement with all the slats clamped in the fixture and use that value to calculate the spacing used in the linear array copy tool to generate the vectors for the holes. When I drill fairly small holes like this I use an end mill that is smaller in diameter than and a pocket tool path. I can drill some test holes in scrap material and test the fit with the pins I purchased. This way I can adjust the vector diameter to get the desired fit. I think this is worth the extra effort because of the number of holes to accurately drill (64 X 15 = 960 holes). I also plan to make more than one music box.

Have a great day!

... Rod

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rod,
I used the 10 oz canvas. I used three strips since I needed to allow spaces for the two extra internal disks.
I also used a simple positioning fixture on my Shark to make 15 holes in each slat. I used a .125 end mill, and pocketed each hole. I could get a nice fit for the pegs this way. Remember, since each slat can have varying densities, don't be surprised if some holes are tighter than others. I didn't want to think too hard so I completed only one 15 hole slat at a time. It took 60 seconds cycle time per slat, so I sanded each slat while the next was being processed.
Have fun,
Bob
"Focus"

jimsr1959

Post by jimsr1959 »

Looks great.

bill z

Post by bill z »

Getting much push back from my kids about this, but, I’m thinking of using a similar and smaller design of the drum, pins and hammers driven by a propeller for a wind chime.

Anyone can make a random noise wind chime but it takes talent to make the chime play a regular song all day long.

My kids say that wind chimes are suppose to be random notes. I can’t find that in the definition.

Thinking outside of the box.