Music Box

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rsetina

Re: Music Box

Post by rsetina »

I know I saw a link to where I can buy the polyurethane band but I can't locate it now. Can anyone point me to the link? Thanks.
Rick

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Rick,
I ordered one from McMaster-Carr (website). They have it in roll form which you have to seam. Some have posted online how to seam. McMaster-Carr also make belts to order. This is what I ordered. It was delivered in less than a week. I resized the small pully to 2" dia. Because this is the minum dia. For the belt type. I also relocated it a little bit to accommodate the larger size. Then I used an online calculator to size the belt (28 1/2"). I used 2% stretch factor. I'm writing this on my phone, so I don't have the link handy. If you need more details. Send another message.

Hope this helps!

....Rod

Bob

Post by Bob »

I found my source finally: http://industrial-supplies.cadencesuppl ... in=keyword

I bought the 10 ft roll and cut what I needed, then melted the ends together. Now I have enough for two more music boxes...
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll need to get started on this soon for my granddaughter's birthday. My plan is to make the roll removable so different songs can be played. I'll use earth magnets to attach them so they can be easily removed.
Rick

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

RSetina,
Can you elaborate on your idea to make an easy replaceable “roll”? Are you wrapping the drum in ferrous metal and attaching the pins with magnets?

Although it would be easy to make removable. I don’t see it practical to replace the entire “pin drum” for each song. Instead we drilled all the slats 15 notes/slat (960 pin positions) which allows for song change by repositioning the pins.
We have just about completed our version of the music box and will post pictures of the various changes/improvements made. I discussed some of these changes in earlier posts.

By the way Bob! I successfully mounted the pivot block assembly to the Xylophone assembly made it all adjustable by cutting simple slots at each end of the mallet support piece. We added the "bonce bar" you suggested too. Thanks!

Have a great day!
… Rod

Bob

Post by Bob »

Rod,
That's great news.
When's the premier?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

NewAgent45

Re: Music Box - Improved pivot blocks

Post by NewAgent45 »

We tested our Music Box for the first time yesterday and made some adjustments. I noticed that sometimes a pivot block would exhibit a delayed release and miss a note when followed by the same note in the next beat. My solution was to relieve the trailing edge of the pivot block. The attached picture shows the improved pivot block on the right and my original on the left.

I just sanded to round over the trailing edge on my bench top belt sander. The next time I would consider and additional round over step when machining the pivot block “loaf”. I was surprised how well this small improvement works. Now, the mallets break cleanly like a hammer falls with a tuned trigger. The bells ring now!
One other design observation! I believe it would help to make the pins longer because the distance between the tips would be greater. My pins are about 1 1/8” length. The current case dimensions limit the pin length. You need pin clearance. The next time I would increase my case dimensions a little bit to accommodate longer pins
Improved Pivot Block
Improved Pivot Block
Today we are making an engraved Acrylic panel for the window. We are carving some 2D music symbols in the panel for another decorative touch. These are similar to the 3D carvings I did on the case.

Have a great day!
... Rod

NewAgent45

Re: Music Box - My version almost complete

Post by NewAgent45 »

Ok! Here is my almost completed Music box with modifications. I need to apply the finish and get a pair of hinges for the window and some other hardware. I decided to use brass hole plugs to hide the screws. I may want to remove some of the plugs to allow disassembly and think the metal plugs will be more easily removed. I'd like to find a non-hardening glue option for them. Maybe that stringy stuff the races use for lug nuts will work! <smile> Some of the counter bored holes are dummy holes as I glued the bottom to the back and right side and biscuits were used on all matting case panels.

I plan to use my own raw sienna mixed stain for the outside of the case. I have found this brings out 3D carving. Then I will apply satin polyurethane and hand rub out the final coat with paraffin oil and pumice.

I’m attaching three groups of pictures showing various changes made from the original design. The link provided below is for a short youtube video.
Music box details 1
Music box details 1
Music box details 2
Music box details 2
Music box details 3
Music box details 3
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAZtexm ... e=youtu.be

Have a great day!
... Rod

rsetina

Post by rsetina »

NewAgent45 wrote:RSetina,
Can you elaborate on your idea to make an easy replaceable “roll”? Are you wrapping the drum in ferrous metal and attaching the pins with magnets?

Although it would be easy to make removable. I don’t see it practical to replace the entire “pin drum” for each song.
… Rod
Rod,

I haven't worked it all out yet, but my thought was to use earth magnets on the drum sides and in corresponding spots on the music roll. You can buy magnets from 1/8 to I believe 3/8 inch and they are quite strong In their attraction as they get larger. Placing one in all four corners and in the middle of the roll I think should hold it firmly in place. If not more magnets could be used to get the holding power needed to keep the roll in place. To remove the music roll, all you'd need to do is peel it off and replace it with a new roll.

By the way Rod. I love the CNC work you did on the sides and front. I have a shark and was thinking of doing something like that too. It adds so much when it's personalized like that.
Rick

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

We completed our version of the Music Box this morning. See the attached picture and link to my video. I combined the latest video with earlier ones to show details.
Completed Music Box
Completed Music Box
Video: https://youtu.be/oVR1Mhp4Q8w

Have a great day!
… Rod