my new metal maker stamp

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

studio-n

my new metal maker stamp

Post by studio-n »

hello. I've posted some of my embossing plates for leatherwork on here before which were cut in delrin plastic.
One thing I hadn't posted was a maker stamp in metal. This was because I couldn't get the bit to fit in between
the letters well enough. Well I think I'm getting a handle on what was needed. Here is my first (personal) maker stamp.
It was laid out in Aspire mostly using a vcarve tool path. It is in 6061 aluminum. Managed to get feed and plunge rates
about right so that it would cut well and not take forever. Time to cut this was about 30 minutes.
The next step will be to make a good holding jig or add a small vise that will fit in the shark and then I can work on other figure stamps.
Cheers!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

TAW

Re: my new metal maker stamp

Post by TAW »

very nice- I have not tried anything but wood so far except one piece of foam. what kind of bits used an and IPM?

studio-n

Re: my new metal maker stamp

Post by studio-n »

TAW wrote:very nice- I have not tried anything but wood so far except one piece of foam. what kind of bits used an and IPM?
thank you.
I initially tried my regular router bits which are HHS and do work on aluminum. but the bits were basically too long and gives chatter. I finally ordered
some end mills off ebay and it's a world of difference. the only thing better would be if I were using the electronically controlled spindle where I could
turn the speed way down. The router runs at about 16,000 rpm so I've got the feed rate down to about 20% (of 120IPM) and a plunge rate of 5%.
seems to be working fine at that speed.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner