Simple Decorative Text (M) Project

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Simple Decorative Text (M) Project

Post by NewAgent45 »

My daughter wanted a letter M for her last name for a wall decoration. Just a simple M and not initials. We decided to decorate the face of the M with 3D Maple leaves.

We designed this all in VCarve Pro. Selecting a font and then converted the text to curves. Then we used several instances of the 3D Maple leaf from the clip art library. We created a group of leaves of different sizes and rotated them to different angles. Then we used array copy to duplicate the group. We ungrouped some of the groups and manually moved some of the leaves to get the desired effect.

We realized that we had gaps between some of the leaves and decided to cut these areas (pockets) down to the base of the composite model. We added a new layer and copied the letter M to this new layer and then created a boundary of the composite model and moved this boundary to the new layer. We manually edited both the boundary and M vectors to create closed vectors for the pocket vectors. See the attached picture to review the results. The look I was looking for is a random pattern of leaves.

The approximate size of the project is 14 x 21 inches. We used a solid piece of Elm laying around my shop for this project.
Front
Front
Back
Back
...... Rod

Kayvon

Re: Simple Decorative Text (M) Project

Post by Kayvon »

Wow, that looks great! Nicely done.