3D Block Puzzle

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sharkcutup

3D Block Puzzle

Post by sharkcutup »

3D Block puzzles are Great X-Mas gifts for Kids and are a jiffy to make!!!
3D block puzzle 1.jpg
3D block puzzle 2.jpg
Enjoy!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

bill z

Re: 3D Block Puzzle

Post by bill z »

Sharkcutup,

Seeing this is a CNC forum, May I assume you made these pieces on your Shark?

If so, how did you get the inside corners cut so sharp so they would lock in? Also, how did you address the clearance issues so the parts were not so tight?

I set up a DXF for a wooden cross puzzle where most were routed across with an end mill but there were a few that had to be dressed with a band saw.

Your secret please.

How about sharing your DXF or CRV file if it is not proprietary.

sharkcutup

Re: 3D Block Puzzle

Post by sharkcutup »

Seeing this is a CNC forum, May I assume you made these pieces on your Shark?
If so, how did you get the inside corners cut so sharp so they would lock in? Also, how did you address the clearance issues so the parts were not so tight?
Answer No. 1: Yes the puzzle pieces were cut using my CNC Shark as you can see from the below image. I will admit that on my first set I did have to use the band saw to open the spaces some for correct fit!
puzzle pieces.jpg
Answer No. 2: I really did nothing special. I have read here on this forum though that is does help to use the correct Post Processor (CNCShark USB Arcs (inch)(*.tap) versus CNCShark 3D Contour (inch) (*.tap)) and of course there are tools within the Vectric software to change/enforce sharp corners. The ARCS processor slows down upon reaching corners whereas it may not slow down in the 3D CONTOUR processor. I guess what really needs to be done is to take the time to do trial and error using the different processors on corners, etc... on similar scrap wood and determine which processor works best for the project you have in mind. I have done trial and error just to determine pocket depths, profile cutouts, etc... it is worth the effort because there is so much more you can learn from just determining the correct post processor. You may find that you may have to adjust your feed speed rate or some other settting TOO!!!

No Secret to reveal!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554