Baby Cradle

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NewAgent45

Baby Cradle

Post by NewAgent45 »

This is my first Baby Cradle project. I reviewed several designs and decided to do something a little different.
I had a few requirements as follows:

1. Style would be a simple classic design with 3D Carved panels. (Teddy Bear, Toy Blocks & an ornate Cross)

2. Assembly would have to allow for flat storage and shipping. Dado joints with screw fasteners were used for assembly of the edge glued panels. I used #10 biscuits to assist the joints. The rockers are attached in a similar manner and engage a dado cut in the bottom panel. I purchased decorative snap on copper caps to hide the screws. These will be installed on final assembly.

3. The edge glued panels were all carved and cutout on the CNC machine. We utilized feed through tiling to cut the side panels because they are longer than my machine bed.

4. I decided to add a motorized rocker driver to "Rock the Cradle". We used a small 12 volt 7 RPM motor for the drive. The video shows the simple drive assembly.

5. The final finish will be a home mixed oil stain and a hand rubbed clear finish.

I did have one carving issue with the 3D Cross. This was my first time. carving this model. The ornate Cross requires using a smaller bit for the final pass to achieve the desired detail. I had to add an additional final pass using a 1/16" dia. round nose bit to finish the cross.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshLZCf ... load_owner
Right side
Right side
Back
Back
Front
Front
Have a great day!
... Rod

BobA

Re: Baby Cradle

Post by BobA »

Very nice job with cradle.

WoodEraser

Re: Baby Cradle

Post by WoodEraser »

Very nice ! Thanks for the post.
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.