Shop Stool

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Bob

Shop Stool

Post by Bob »

I'm trying to discover the maximum size of a project I can make without repositioning the workpiece. As a result, I tried this work stool. All parts are cut from .75" plywood using the Shark. Except for the seat: A half template was made for the seat using the shark. Then the template was used with a pattern cutting router bit to cut out the seat from LVL. All components were assembled without the need to trim anything to size.
Attachments
Shop Stool
Shop Stool
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Djkaukl

Re: Shop Stool

Post by Djkaukl »

Nice application. I noticed on your review posted on Rockler's site an editor's comment warning that your dust collection setup poses a danger of damage to the shark through static elec buildup and stress on the stepper motors induced by the drag weight/torque of the 4" vacuum hose. I have a similar dust skirt/hose installed and really like it. Would hate to have to abandon it. Although the Rockler people posted the warning they made no suggestions for a fix that would still permit use of a dust skirt such as you have. What's your take on whether this type of dust collection will damage the machine somehow?

Bob

Post by Bob »

Djkaukl wrote:Nice application. I noticed on your review posted on Rockler's site an editor's comment warning that your dust collection setup poses a danger of damage to the shark through static elec buildup and stress on the stepper motors induced by the drag weight/torque of the 4" vacuum hose. I have a similar dust skirt/hose installed and really like it. Would hate to have to abandon it. Although the Rockler people posted the warning they made no suggestions for a fix that would still permit use of a dust skirt such as you have. What's your take on whether this type of dust collection will damage the machine somehow?
To prevent static, I grounded the entire collection system.
I do believe that the skirt can exert torque on the system while in use as described. Although with the method I used, I believe the force is minimal. I used soft bristles around the skirt and a very flexable and well balanced dust hose. What I did not like about the skirt was the fact that it blocked my view of the cutter during operation. It also made it more difficult to change bits. In my situation, I found it most beneficial to abandon the skirt and simply enclose the entire Machine in a dust box. I have set up the dust collector ports so that there is a strong flow of air being pushed across the work surface. The ports on each side of the box are also removable to allow longer pieces to be machined. I have pictures posted on the Rockler website. http://www.rockler.com/CustomerGalleryD ... roject=577 When I replaced the gate lifters on the rear window of my Jeep, I used the old ones to lift the gate on my dust box.
Last edited by Bob on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Focus"

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

To remove some of the drag. . . .try hooking the hose to the ceiling and drop down to the unit. Drag should be minimal. We used it on all of our equipment that were drag sensitive. . . . just a thought

Bob

Post by Bob »

Check out my dust foot here if you are interested. http://www.rockler.com/CustomerGalleryD ... roject=560
I agree that this is a good method to reduce drag...but not eliminate it. My projects are small enough that most will fit within the confines of the dust box.
I am more satisfied with this box for my application because of the openness and excellent air flow over the work surface
http://www.rockler.com/CustomerGalleryD ... roject=577 If I ever get a larger cnc, I think I would look into dust foot design again.
Bob
"Focus"

CountryWoodCrafts

Bob,

I am looking to build a box for the CNC like yours. Do you have more pictures to share? I am interested in where the air is allowed into the box. Do you have a filter on incoming air? Do you have it chambered to reduce the escape of noise through the air inlet?

Your job is quite professional looking and lowers the static electricity issues.

Thanks

Bob

Post by Bob »

I'll post some pictures next week. Are there any other parts you want better views of?
I made the inlet the same surface area as the exhaust. The inlet is rectangular in order to be as wide as the table. This allows the airflow to sweep evenly across the entire work surface. There is no need to filter the incoming air that I can think of. It's just drawing in the shop air that has already been filtered by the DC. There is a radius on the edges of the intake and outlet to enhance the airflow by reducing turbulence. I have designed the intake and outlet ports to be removable to accommodate longer pieces of stock.
I'll post pictures.
Bob
"Focus"

CountryWoodCrafts

I guess 4 sides is about it. I now am seeing more in the pictures than I noticed before. Very cool design.
I used massive CNCs in the past which contain their own cabinets and yours fits in quite well with what they had.

Thanks again very nice work.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Thank you,
I'll post pictures next week.
I forgot to mention...The intake panel can be rotated 180 and re-inserted. This raises the port to accommodate any accessory boards that are temporarily used.
Bob
"Focus"

Bob

Post by Bob »

OK,
Here are some pictures of the inlet port and computer shelf:
The computer shelf uses furnace filters on top and bottom of the cabinet. Air is circulated using a bathroom ventilation fan.
(More pictures are posted on the next pages.)
Attachments
Computer shelf
Computer shelf
outside view of the intake port
outside view of the intake port
inside view of the intake port
inside view of the intake port
Last edited by Bob on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Focus"