3d signs & cribbage boards

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Joe P

3d signs & cribbage boards

Post by Joe P »

Hi. I just joined the forum after being a guest for quite awhile. I've learned a lot from you guys so thank you all. I think I've finally got good enough to give little back. I've been making some 3d terrain type cribbage boards and signs for friends that have a camp on a mountain or lake in my area. They've been a real hit and make great gifts. I purchase a .stl model online of the terrain around the lake or mountain for about $6. Then I create a 2d vector from a map or picture. Adjust the scales, merge the two together, add some text , a cribbage path and some paint. These I made out of cherry.
Attachments
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2825.JPG

gordread

Re: 3d signs & cribbage boards

Post by gordread »

Nicely done Joe.

Great start on the cribbage boards. I've done hundreds of cribbage boards, but haven't done one with a terrain map yet. After seeing yours I may have to give it a go.

Gordon

TAW

Post by TAW »

Very nice job on those Joe P!
What site did you purchase the (stl model online of the terrain around the lake or mountain for about $6.).
did you hand paint all the colors with water base or enamels?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Excellent job! I love seeing new ideas on the forums.

Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Thanks. I found a website called Terrainator.com for the terrain models. It's real easy to navigate. I do the terrain first then I stain and add a couple of coats of lacquer with it still on the machine. Then I cut in the text, lakes, essentially everything that needs paint, 0.020" from the top of the model. Then I paint with acrylic. The paint sticks to the fresh cuts but not to the lacquer. Just wipes off with a damp cotton cloth. Since the painted zone is a little lower then the adjacent surface, you get a nice edge and can be a little sloppy painting. If I need to add a text over a painted surface like the name on the lake, I'll add another coat of lacquer, let it dry, then carve in the name. The round lazy susan shows the level of detail you can achieve using this technique. With the 3d carvings, you need to make sure you offset your home coordinates far enough away so it stays available until the very end and your ready to cut the perimeter. Hope this helps
Attachments
IMG_2826.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG

gordread

Post by gordread »

Joe that sounds like a great method. How long do you have to wait for the lacquer to dry before you machine it?

Gordon

Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Hi Gordon, Lacquer dries quick. 3-4 hours is good enough but usually I'll let it sit over night if I'm not in a hurry. I used to use poly but it tends to turn the white's yellow after awhile.

Joe

gordread

Post by gordread »

I may have to try the laquer idea. I'm always willing to try something new, and I can't think of a better way to get colour into a 3D carving, without a great deal of fine painting. :)

Rando

Post by Rando »

Quick Q: do the few of you talking here have issues with the lacquer gumming up the bit? Maybe I was just not letting it cure fully?

Thanks, I'll go back to lurking this thread now :D.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Hi Thom, I have not had issues with it gumming. Maybe you're not waiting long enough. I apply with a foam brush from lowes. I've had foam brushes from other stores just crumple from the lacquer or they droop too much once they are loaded up. I don't thin it out either. Just a quick coat and let it sit. It sets up fast so if you see you missed a spot after a just a couple of minutes forget about going back for a touch up. You'll just make it worse by dragging partially dried stuff along and making streaks. Just wait for it to dry thoroughly and give it another coat. I lightly hand sand with 220 grit, vacuum, and tack it between coats.