Smoothing Hand Plane *added block plane posts

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Rando

Re: Smoothing Hand Plane *added block plane posts

Post by Rando »

BillK wrote:Thanks Joe, always appreciate your comments.

Rando, I actually wrote a long and involved answer to your questions 2 days ago on my iPad and just when I was about ready to hit the submit button my iPad battery died. It was a great answer, perfectly crafted. It was like running a 3 hour carving project that came out perfectly, flipping it over to add a keyhole and plunging though the face. So it took me a few days to recover from that.
Ugh! I hate it when that happens. I never seem to remember everything the second time around, and being frustrated at having to duplicate the entire effort because of a stupid COMPUTER makes me want to just throw up my hands and give up...sometimes.

Thanks for the clear and thorough and explanation. I knew there had to be something more going on there, so that's awesome. I suspect I'm one of the unwashed multitudes who've only touched merely-sanded surfaces :D.

That's interesting that they make allowances for the wood by adjusting around it, instead of trying to force it into dimensional compliance by sheer will of machining. I think I'll look at ways I can choose adjustability over enforced dimensional accuracy as a way to "work within the limitations" of either material or the machine.

Cheers! And, thanks again, Bill. Your knowledge, experience, and insights are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)