A Dice Puzzle box using over 30 layers and 8 sheets

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

markjonesranger

A Dice Puzzle box using over 30 layers and 8 sheets

Post by markjonesranger »

This last month I found a dice puzzle box a woodworker had made and had free plans for in pdf format on the web. I thought I would like to take up the challenge of making one of these about a 1/3 bigger and some modifications using box joints and yet keeping the inner tabs very close to his design.

It took me about month working on it a few hours each day. 2 weeks in main design in the software while camping on the beach (100 degree heat...AC was nice in the RV) Then a wek or so in the shop tweaking each part and making modifications. I will say the Shark has always preformed it's part in this exactly as programed.

With all the layers and sheets and some had many tool paths for each sheet I learned some more things on organization both in Vcarve and the Sharp Pendant.

Also tips on how I set my Shark up with Jig Boards and 1/4" waste boards and using a 23 gauge pin nailer and tweaks.
Here is the video. I am about to make up about 6 of these for prizes for our Church Scout Program called Royal Rangers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohV6acSBWe0

Darsh

Re: A Dice Puzzle box using over 30 layers and 8 sheets

Post by Darsh »

markjonesranger wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:45 am
This last month I found a dice puzzle box a woodworker had made and had free plans for in pdf format on the web. I thought I would like to take up the challenge of making one of these about a 1/3 bigger and some modifications using box joints and yet keeping the inner tabs very close to his design.

It took me about month working on it a few hours each day. 2 weeks in main design in the software while camping on the beach (100 degree heat...AC was nice in the RV) Then a wek or so in the shop tweaking each part and making modifications. I will say the Shark has always preformed it's part in this exactly as programed.

With all the layers and sheets and some had many tool paths for each sheet I learned some more things on organization both in Vcarve and the Sharp Pendant.

Also tips on how I set my Shark up with Jig Boards and 1/4" waste boards and using a 23 gauge pin nailer and tweaks.
Here is the video. I am about to make up about 6 of these for prizes for our Church Scout Program called Royal Rangers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohV6acSBWe0
Your month-long journey creating the dice puzzle box, expanding and enhancing the design with box joints, is truly impressive. The meticulous design process, camping creativity, and hands-on tweaking in the shop reflect dedication. It's fantastic to hear that the Shark performed flawlessly, and your organizational insights in Vcarve and Sharp Pendant are invaluable. The video encapsulates not just a woodworking project but a journey of craftsmanship. Making six for the Royal Rangers program prizes is a wonderful way to share your skills and the joy of woodworking with the community. Kudos on this fantastic endeavor!

markjonesranger

Re: A Dice Puzzle box using over 30 layers and 8 sheets

Post by markjonesranger »

Thanks for the kind words Darsh. I really enjoy this stuff.