Touch Probe

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

edjansenocm

Touch Probe

Post by edjansenocm »

I've recently acquired a CNC Shark and I'm at the stage where I want to use the touch probe I purchased. Does anyone know of any tutorials available on how to use the darn thing. I have V-Carve Pro and Cut3D software. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Bob

Re: Touch Probe

Post by Bob »

Ed,
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=715
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

edjansenocm

Post by edjansenocm »

Thanks Bob, that gets me started. I now know how to scan, but I don't know where to go from there. Do I run Cut3D with the Control Panel open? After the scan is completed, where/how can I save the file? Sorry for these questions. I've been working with wood for over 40 years, but I am at a loss when it comes to this 3D stuff. I absolutely love it even though I feel like an idiot trying to use it. :o

Bob

Post by Bob »

Run the scan from the Shark control panel. When the scan finishes, it will save as an stl file.
Just save the stl to a place where you can find it.
You can then open the stl with Cut3D.
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

edjansenocm

Post by edjansenocm »

I ran our first scan today and it sort of worked. Well, it scanned only 2/3 of the object even though I set the proper measurements for the X and Y axis. It stopped scanning when it got about 2/3 finished and went to save file. Once I opened the file in Cut 3D the two highest places on the object (2 faces) were blank. Here are my settings: Scan limits: x and y are the exact measurements of the object, x = 6.625 and y = 7.875 with z set at 2 inches. The object being scanned is less than .5 inch. Step sizes for x and y were .04 and scan velocity was 10 in/min.

When I started the scan I set the probe at the bottom left hand corner and set the x, y and z = 0. I left the probe a bit higher than literally touching the object

One final observation was that as the touch probe went over the object it appeared to hang up and then get released and jump to its place.

Help, if you can.

edjansenocm

Post by edjansenocm »

I ran our first scan today and it sort of worked. Well, it scanned only 2/3 of the object even though I set the proper measurements for the X and Y axis. It stopped scanning when it got about 2/3 finished and went to save file. Once I opened the file in Cut 3D the two highest places on the object (2 faces) were blank. Here are my settings: Scan limits: x and y are the exact measurements of the object, x = 6.625 and y = 7.875 with z set at 2 inches. The object being scanned is less than .5 inch. Step sizes for x and y were .04 and scan velocity was 10 in/min.

When I started the scan I set the probe at the bottom left hand corner and set the x, y and z = 0. I left the probe a bit higher than literally touching the object

One final observation was that as the touch probe went over the object it appeared to hang up and then get released and jump to its place.

Help, if you can.

koryak

Post by koryak »

In using my probe to trace and store a chair seat contour I experience the following problem (it occurs at all speeds and all settings): the probe bends (flexes) when it tries to rise along a sharp curve. This results in a distorted scan (with bad edges)...As I find this forum kind of hard to navigate perhaps you could send your suggestions to burt@netsense.net