Shark Noises

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JPITT

Shark Noises

Post by JPITT »

I have the 60th Ann CNC shark and it is quite or what I would consider normal when moving on the X and Z axis but when it is going to the "0" on the Y axis (jogging the axis) it makes a squeal noise. I have greased the "screw" and stabilizers. Ideas on what I should do or what it could be?

rsetina

Re: Shark Noises

Post by rsetina »

Mine made wierd noises from the beginning and it's still working fine. Still making noises that don't sound right to me. Even the one I saw at Rockler's demo made noises so I didn't think anything of it when mine did.
Rick

Crosetti

Post by Crosetti »

Mine makes all kinds of sounds from day 1. Try running a toolpath above the wood with router off, you will hear all kinds of musical notes... Sweet Shark Music.
Black Diamond Shark HD
Vetric Aspire 9.5 / Shark Control Panel 2.1
http://www.tacer.biz/

Rando

Post by Rando »

Crosetti wrote:Mine makes all kinds of sounds from day 1. Try running a toolpath above the wood with router off, you will hear all kinds of musical notes... Sweet Shark Music.

Crosetti's right. Most of the sounds you hear are from the motors; the rate at which the move is being done, combined with the acoustical nature of the machine part it's sounded through, determine the sound. Think of the motor like a guitar string, and the machine as the guitar body. When the motor vibrates at a frequency that is in tune with the machine, it will sound loudly and clearly. When they differ, it will often sound harsh and unhappy. Unless the machine is actually binding (you'd see this in it "losing steps") it's working the way it should.

That said, the stepper-motor pulses put out by the controller are very "hard", so slow moves (particularly in the Z-direction) often sound like the machine is beating itself to death. Until I ran with the spindle off as Crosetti mentions, I'd not heard that. I sounds almost self-destructive, but saying so doesn't mean there's a (good, inexpensive) change that will help.

Enjoy the machine, just don't expect to take a nap near it....which brings up a related topic: I've found those bose in-ear (and over-ear) noise cancelling headphones work WONDERS when working around the machine. I even use them with those nice foam earplugs if the machine is going to run more than a few minutes. Protect your ears and eyes both! :D

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)