CNC Machines in General

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: sbk, al wolford

CNC Machines in General

Postby rayray » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:19 am

I am new to CNC, but have spent a long time woodworking and 'messing' with computers and machines. I am looking at the Shark Piranha as an entry machine with hopes of maybe being able to put it to use as a business. For starters, It looks like a lot of fun to learn and 'play' with, but at this point I don't know even what I don't know -- seems that there sure is a lot to learn. Just as a matter of curiosity, are there any other makes of 'affordable home shop' type CNC machines. I know Laguna makes some but a little bit on the pricey side and probably bigger than what I would like to start with. Are there any others that build machines in the general area of the Shark?
rayray
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: CNC Machines in General

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:41 pm

My only reason for not being interested in the Piranha is the small size. I started with a 25" x 25" Shark Pro, and although 85% of what I wanted to cut would fit on the Shark the remaining 15% nagged me from day one when I couldn't do what I wanted because of the "small" sized bed.

Probotix makes a 20" x 13" V90 Mk2 which is built and runs like their larger machines. Stepping to a larger size later would be an easy investment with no additional learning.
There are kits out there, but the "putting it together" part can be more intimidating than using it when done.

The head end of using a CNC is the software used to draw up and create tool paths, and that challenge is the same for all CNCs. The Piranha comes with VCarve Desktop, an excellent program and something the kits and other brands should include but usually charge extra for.

4D
4DThinker
 
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:00 am

Re: CNC Machines in General

Postby mickr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 am

Ray: I'm about in your arena, except I have so little computer experience that I don't even know what I need to know :-).I have trouble with email and navigating the web... Having these websites and videos on Youtube are a huge help. I hope folks here will help us both.
mickr
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 am

Re: CNC Machines in General

Postby TAW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:07 pm

I to have been woodworker since HS. and untill last 5 yrs really did nothjing on a computer. Been on laptop for work for about 5 yrs and am excited and scard of the new toy coming. ut everyone says go slow and small at first and ask lots of ?'s... we will see.
I think a updated owners manual is needed for sure!
TAW
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 am

Re: CNC Machines in General

Postby ericklein » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

I have a CNC Rockler Shark purchased 2 years ago. We made about 150 2D signs with it for Christmas last year and are wanting to sell the machine and software. I also have the dust collection attachment for the router and hose. I'm asking $2200 and I will include all shipping charges as well. You can reach me at 918-510-3011 if you are interested. I hope this is not considered an inappropriate post on this forum, but I figured this would be the best place to generate interest since many would not know what this machine is capable of. Thanks, Eric.
Last edited by ericklein on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericklein
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:47 am

Re: CNC Machines in General

Postby McBuster » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:10 pm

rayray wrote:Just as a matter of curiosity, are there any other makes of 'affordable home shop' type CNC machines. Are there any others that build machines in the general area of the Shark?


Rockler also sells a brand called Axiom. They sell a smaller unit for $2000. Steel frame. Far better ball screws and motors etc.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn
McBuster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:02 am


Return to CNC Shark videos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest