CNC Machines in General

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

rayray

CNC Machines in General

Post by rayray »

I am new to CNC, but have spent a long time woodworking and 'messing' with computers and machines. I am looking at the Shark Piranha as an entry machine with hopes of maybe being able to put it to use as a business. For starters, It looks like a lot of fun to learn and 'play' with, but at this point I don't know even what I don't know -- seems that there sure is a lot to learn. Just as a matter of curiosity, are there any other makes of 'affordable home shop' type CNC machines. I know Laguna makes some but a little bit on the pricey side and probably bigger than what I would like to start with. Are there any others that build machines in the general area of the Shark?

4DThinker

Re: CNC Machines in General

Post by 4DThinker »

My only reason for not being interested in the Piranha is the small size. I started with a 25" x 25" Shark Pro, and although 85% of what I wanted to cut would fit on the Shark the remaining 15% nagged me from day one when I couldn't do what I wanted because of the "small" sized bed.

Probotix makes a 20" x 13" V90 Mk2 which is built and runs like their larger machines. Stepping to a larger size later would be an easy investment with no additional learning.
There are kits out there, but the "putting it together" part can be more intimidating than using it when done.

The head end of using a CNC is the software used to draw up and create tool paths, and that challenge is the same for all CNCs. The Piranha comes with VCarve Desktop, an excellent program and something the kits and other brands should include but usually charge extra for.

4D

mickr

Post by mickr »

Ray: I'm about in your arena, except I have so little computer experience that I don't even know what I need to know :-).I have trouble with email and navigating the web... Having these websites and videos on Youtube are a huge help. I hope folks here will help us both.

TAW

Post by TAW »

I to have been woodworker since HS. and untill last 5 yrs really did nothjing on a computer. Been on laptop for work for about 5 yrs and am excited and scard of the new toy coming. ut everyone says go slow and small at first and ask lots of ?'s... we will see.
I think a updated owners manual is needed for sure!

ericklein

Post by ericklein »

I have a CNC Rockler Shark purchased 2 years ago. We made about 150 2D signs with it for Christmas last year and are wanting to sell the machine and software. I also have the dust collection attachment for the router and hose. I'm asking $2200 and I will include all shipping charges as well. You can reach me at 918-510-3011 if you are interested. I hope this is not considered an inappropriate post on this forum, but I figured this would be the best place to generate interest since many would not know what this machine is capable of. Thanks, Eric.
Last edited by ericklein on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

McBuster

Post by McBuster »

rayray wrote:Just as a matter of curiosity, are there any other makes of 'affordable home shop' type CNC machines. Are there any others that build machines in the general area of the Shark?
Rockler also sells a brand called Axiom. They sell a smaller unit for $2000. Steel frame. Far better ball screws and motors etc.
Jon ...
Woodbury Mn