Levelling the aluminium table

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wolffie

Re: Levelling the aluminium table

Post by wolffie »

hdtheater wrote:When it comes to leveling, could this be accomplished by bolting aluminum to the topside of the table and using it as a straight edge for the x axis?

-Eric
I am certain it could, however, you would lose all the T-slots
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

gbeauw

Post by gbeauw »

Just got my HD Pro and just tried some of my first project which included trying to engrave on .040 aluminum sheet. Disaster. Guess why! Yep. The aluminum bed.

Should of come to the forum first. Just for grins here's what I measured for table flatness (all in inches):

Code: Select all

Datum
               +.018                           0.0                       -.021
                    +---------------------------+--------------------------+
                    |                                                      |
                    |                         +.004                        |  
              +.028 +                           +                          + -.007
                    +---------------------------+--------------------------+
                 -.014                        -.015                      -.042
The Datum point is Ymax, Xcenter. Man is this disappointing after spending >$4000 for this thing. So I guess I too am off to buy some good aluminum channel and angle to stiffen the bed. I guess doing any engraving is out until I make this upgrade and then we'll have to see if that fixes the problem. I'm going to call Next Wave tomorrow to see what they have to say. Given the complaints here and some of the U-Tube videos I'm starting to see pop up, you would think they would jump all over this.

drueth

Post by drueth »

Gbeauw

With the top off be sure you level the Shark base using a good level placed on the two Y guide rails not the plastic frame. It is also not a bad idea to take some measurement from the router to the rails. The base of the Shark can be flexed very easyly and this will through out all you measurements.

Good luck and I am sure you wil find this is time well spent.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Idid the upgrade on mine today.

When I disassembled everything, I noticed that the plastic broken around some of the bolt holes.

Also, the plastic was "pinched" at others. I think it most likely raised up the table slightly too.

It is still not perfect, but it is better than before.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

FixitMike

Post by FixitMike »

For more on table flatness, see these threads.
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 3594#p3594
http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 4337#p4337 (This one has a picture of what I did for the table support bars.)

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

I still reckon that for the money paid, the Shark is a good buy, unless you know a lot about how to build one yourself.

It cost me around another $500 (plus the cost of the spindle which was my choice but not necessary), to make mine a white pointer but what I have now or rather, will be having when I am finished, will be a machine comparable with much more expensive machines.
Mind you, I have never seen the MAKO, so can only talk about my experiences with the HD.

Cheers
Wolffie

2Big

Post by 2Big »

I added aluminum angle to the end pieces and 4 slats across the bottom- Table is much stiffer but still not FLAT ! My fix was to add 25" x 3/4 inch MDF slats to the top of the table and cut them flat with the shark- The table top is 25 x 25 which is the only usable area on the table anyway and I covered up 2 out of 3 T-slots on the table-, really no need for a slot every inch anyway, the clamps still reach from slot to slot . It is now flat or at least perfectly parallel to the x,y motion of the router on the gantry- It will also provide an "oops" buffer between the router and aluminum table top .

After achieving a flat table top there is still one more step- The router is not perfectly perpendicular to the table so you will notice slight steps between parallel cuts with larger diameter cutters- I used a dial indicator and swung about a 6 inch circle from my spindle on to my table, I was out about 1/32 of an inch- I loosened the bolts on the top of the router assembly where the router cradle bolts to the upper X-axis bearing block, with a little bumping around of the cradle with the bolts just "snug" I was able to find a sweet spot and get pretty close- I then re-tightened the bolts. 6 in circle now swings in about .008 out of perpendicular in 6 inches- Not enough to notice even with the largest cutters!

I have attached some pictures-
slats2.JPG
Bearing block.JPG
MDF TOP.JPG
Last edited by 2Big on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

2Big

Post by 2Big »

Just a couple more pictures of my table fix- One other note, I think a flat surface for the shark to sit on is a must as well- Mine is 1.5 inch particle board with 4 inch x 3/4 slats underneath it for re-inforcement. No pictures of the re-inforcements under the table but you get the idea..

'
Shark Table.JPG
Bit Drawer.JPG

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

I do not have any of the fancy measuring guides but I found an easy way to ensure the table is perpendicular to the gantry:

1) I secure a piece if 1/4" dowel in my router.
2) I send the router as far as it can go to one of the corners, Lower it to the table, then set is as XYZ0.
3) I lift the router 1/4" then send it to the next corner and jog it to the surface. I can read on the screen whether it is at 0 or how much it is out and write it down.
4) Return to XYZ0 and then do the same for the next 2 corners.
5) I send the router to the corner that is the lowest and set that as XYZ0.
6) I can now set the other 3 corners to the same height either by shimming it or, as in my case , I have changed the holes in the base to slots so I can adjust the bolts up and down.

Amazing how much difference it has made to my carvings.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Wolffie

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

For those that have purchased plastic or nylon fasteners for bolting the MDF to the table top, can you recommend a dealer and part number that you used?

Only plastic bolts I ever used held down a toilet seat. :)

Thanks,

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx