Which router and bits to start??

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

gmm50

Which router and bits to start??

Post by gmm50 »

Hello:

Just starting out Shark came today.
My plans are to be mostly machining out plastic parts.
Very beginner question...Which router are you using and what bits do you find useful and why for both questions.

Thank You in advance
George
George

SawDust913

Re: Which router and bits to start??

Post by SawDust913 »

As far as the router is concerned, any of the routers that fit the Shark are good ones. I have 2 Porter Cable routers, one for the Shark and one for my router table. As far as bits go! E-Bay and Amazon are good places to look, you get what you pay for. I prefer American, Swiss or German as the carbide seems to be better quality than the China junk! Cutting Plastic? I haven't done a lot of that but maybe you will want to check the lowest RPM router! Just a guess; What plastic I have cut seemed to do a lot of burning so look at the plastic cutting end mills. I don't have any.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I cut a lot of cast acrylic using a special bit from amana for plastics also I use v carve bits and ball nose bits also on cast acrylic. I run my router at about 10,000 rpms and speed is about 100 ipm. I do a lot of edge lit signs.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Harry

Post by Harry »

I like it very much

tonybell9699

Post by tonybell9699 »

Being very new as well, I looked at a couple of the free plans available and bought the bits needed to work on them. Still waiting on them to come in but excited. I did buy the bit set on Rockler, a waste of money in my humble opinion....