How to add/integrate laser controls to old shark controller

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

dreiii

How to add/integrate laser controls to old shark controller

Post by dreiii »

Have found laser engraving unit that will attach to Shark using newer one piece controller. I have an older two piece (separate power supply) unit. Simple solution is to upgrade to new controller for 500.00.

The price of new controller and laser unit together are above my budget for this "experiment". Would someone have any knowledge of adding on/off capabilities for the laser. A new post processor is available for this unit so the code part is taken care of.

And most importantly, what else do I NOT know.

Kevink18

Re: How to add/integrate laser controls to old shark control

Post by Kevink18 »

what lazer unit is it there. Does your controler turn on and off your router curently. if so it will be easy to build a relay module to plug in .

dreiii

Post by dreiii »

Unit from J Tech Photonics. My old controller does not have the relay found in new ones. Point me in the direction for adding relay.

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

It has to have the output for a router to power it on and off the control would have to be done through Nextwave

monitoringpost

Post by monitoringpost »

dreiii wrote:Unit from J Tech Photonics.
Thanks for the heads-up! See they even have instructions on integrating with the Shark Controller - understand your questions better now. I'm certainly going to investigate this further and may very well order this unit if I determine that it'll integrate with my controller.

dreiii

Post by dreiii »

The older controller contains a Zylotex 3 axis driver board. Getting answers from them is as hard as getting from NWA. Secrets, secrets, everywhere are secrets. The answer is out there and I will find it. And it will probably be simple and inexpensive. My controller is so far out of warranty that NWA shouldn't care what I do to it. And then there is the thought of upgrading to a new (NOT NWA) controller and using the same linux and computer I use on my milling machine. Saves wear and tear on the brain and no worry about 2 computers, 2 monitors and room for both. Shark ain't nothing but motors and axes.

dreiii

Post by dreiii »

Kevink18 wrote:It has to have the output for a router to power it on and off the control would have to be done through Nextwave
Why would Nextwave have to do it. If I can get the pinouts of the xylotex board (which is what is used in the old controller I have) I can do it myself.

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

true

dreiii

Post by dreiii »

Answered my own question after quite a bit of research. No problems, no thanks to NWA. Just dump the NCpod card, connect parallel to Xylotex board and get relay board. And NWA wanted me to spend 500.00 for a new controller. No thanks. Can't wait to see the Shark running on Linuxcnc, it is so much more advanced than Shark control panel.