Considering a Shark Purchase

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Im Still In Beta

Considering a Shark Purchase

Post by Im Still In Beta »

I am pretty new to woodworking and want to learn CNC routing to start. I am deciding which Shark model to purchase and had some router bit questions also.
...And then I will need to learn how to use everything!

Here are 6 quick questions, I would really appreciate some guidance and suggestions!
1. I want to try decorative engraving and small sign making; which are the best type and size bits to start with for these type of projects?
2. I've seen some bits for CNC machines with coating. Are those better than bits without a coating?
3. Some bits for CNC are spiral shaped and solid carbide, and some just have carbide tips, which are better for a CNC?
4. Is it better to buy the bits in sets, or to purchase them individually?
5. There are so many different brands of router bits, which ones are best for CNC and last the longest?
6. Does anyone know of some good Shark/CNC classes on-line?

tonydude

Re: Considering a Shark Purchase

Post by tonydude »

Start off with the tutorials first. http://support.vectric.com/training-material lot of good videos to watch plus you can download the demo programs and follow along. The bits you need to start with will be 60 and 90 v bits,.125 end mill and .25 end mill plus .0625 ball nose and .125 ball nose to do 3D work. I get my bits from www.toolstoday.com plus there are others.If I was you I would get the biggest machine you can buy , because later on you'll regret not getting one. I have the extended bed cnc shark. Also check out http://shop.nextwaveautomation.com/shop/ they are the ones that make the sharks.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.