Dust Boot Modification

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JimRochester

Re: Dust Boot Modification

Post by JimRochester »

Can I ask what adapter people used for the vacuum hose? The hole in the dust boot is 2 1/4 inches and any adapters seem to be exactly 2 1/4. Where can I get the slightly undersized tube to fit in the hole? I want to fit a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 adapter?

Thanks.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I made up a hose with swivel ends. I just measured the Swivel ends and they are 2 1/4. I believe the hose side is 2 1/2. I probably ordered all this stuff from Rockler or Amazon. The hose I used has a wire coil which I connected a ground wire to on both ends. I used plastic dust pipe for my dust system. We used a grounding kit where you run a ground wire inside of each pipe section. This discharges static electricity and prevents a dust fire. I built my own dust system using a shop vacuum and Dust Deputy cyclone to collect the heavy dust in a 5 gallon bucket.

Hope this helps.
.... Rod

WoodEraser

Post by WoodEraser »

Pictures ?
Eric the "WoodEraser"
Sun City Center, Florida

If today were perfect there would be no need for tomorrow.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Sure! I have a few and it wasn't complete when I took these pictures. The shop vac was placed in the attic above my garage shop. I added a home built muffler to the exhaust and piped it out thru the wall using a cloths dryer type thru the wall fitting. When I add added electrical circuit to my shop I added a switch to control the outlet that the vacuum is powered into. There are other wireless type switches available if you don't feel like hardwiring the simple circuit. I located the vacuum away from the shop to muffle the noise. I rarely have to service the shop vac because the dust deputy handles the heavy dust. One thing to note if you are cutting a lot of foam board you will find most of the foam in the vac.

Shop Vac.jpg
The dust deputy is mounted on a locking/folding shelf that can be dropped to empty the 5 gallon bucket, You just rotate the bucket to separate it from the lid.

There are times when I don't use the dust boot and I just close the blast gate and manually use another hose and suction nozzle. I also use the second hose to vacuum my cars and the floor with a floor tool.
Vacuum System.jpg