Dust boot attachement

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Timber Wolf

Dust boot attachement

Post by Timber Wolf »

The instructions that came with the dust boot are not the best resolution photos or directions but I believe I have it attached correctly. The magnets do not seem to hold the boot in place, has anyone had this issue or am I doing something wrong here? I am afraid to leave it on with the threat of falling of and get caught in the bit. Any help here is appreciated! Thank you!

Rando

Re: Dust boot attachement

Post by Rando »

Timber Wolf:

Well, hopefully you won't have much of a problem. Most people's complaints run more toward the vacuum sucking in the bristles, or them being too stiff and the carving is affected because the bit didn't cut deep enough. I have to believe the magnets you got are "darned close" to the ones I got, and mine at least never fell off. To remove the chips to the greatest extent, the bit has to be just below the bottom of the bristles, which means there is indeed a greater chance a clamp will knock the dust boot off. With the stiff bristles, though, even if it does come loose, I'd expect the boot to at least stay "up" on the router, since it won't really have much distance to fall down and be cut.

But yes, all manner of things can and do get ejected by a spinning router if they're into the wrong place. Maybe until you're convinced it's okay, use like a long tie-wrap to hold the two on, or even a good stout rubber band. Say like one of those Silicone hair bands or similar.

Hope it all stays where it should.

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Timber Wolf

Post by Timber Wolf »

Thom, thanks for the reply, I have been out of town on a two week training trip, not woodworking related. I do like the hair band idea, with three girls in the house we have a surplus of those. I just installed my new water cooled spindle so I will try the bands and dust boot with it all tomorrow. Thanks again and I'll update with how it all went!

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

The magnets that are installed are little to be desired. They are rather weak!

My Solution ---- Rubber bands are cheap and they work for me!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Timber Wolf

Post by Timber Wolf »

So after playing around with the magnets I determined that some of them are flipped in no particular pattern. That means that several of them are actually repelling each other and I guess overpowering the ones that are attracting each other. Rubber bands it is.