Another new guy introduction

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lockeb

Re: Another new guy introduction

Post by lockeb »

Retiring this year after 41 years in education.
Just purchased the Mako. Have to create a place for it in my shop. I have spent time with the tutorials for VCarve and Cut3d. So here are some questions that have come up so far.

Could you advise, send a pic, or send me to a topic that would give me some assistance on attaching sacrifice layer below the project. Things like should I get more clamps, cut paths for t track bolts... etc.

Question number 2 - I see some talk of straight bits and others mill end bits. Which is better? Does it depend of application?

Number 3 - Type of Material: is there a rule, chart, or general settings for speed of the bit and travel in different material or do just do it and figure it out as you go?

I know these are very elementary questions. I know I appear ignorant of these things when asking such questions( obvious), but I'd rather be ignorant and get information than be stupid by not asking. . As of now my vast inventory of bits is the V bit that came with the Shark. I did find a recc list on another post, but still have some questions. Hope to find some with patience to deal with someone starting at nearly 0.
Thanks to any and all who can be of assistance.

sk8nmike

Re: Another new guy introduction

Post by sk8nmike »

Lockeb.

A sacrifice layer is nothing more than a scrap board you place under your work. Some will place a board or MDF across the entier surface of the table, I just use scrap pieces of MDF placing one or two under the center of my work and and then one under each clamping point. Use what works for you.

Feed rates are something you kind of have to learn. Differnt types of wood require adjustments. Here's a link to get you started, there are more http://www.precisebits.com/reference/precisefedsped.asp

Bits: An end mill is a flat nosed bit with spiral flutes, a straight bit has no twists of the fluting. The type of bit you use depends one what you're carving and what works best for you, Precise bits has articles on this too.