Router not turning on

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

norseman

Re: Router not turning on

Post by norseman »

Howdy Folks,

The reason the router will not start is the 6902VS has a safety switch. This is designed to keep the router OFF during a power outage so it will not restart if the power were to come back on. The router can recognize potential from the power source and will not start until it has: 1. Voltage Potential, 2. Power switch in the OFF position. Once these two criteria are met, the switch will turn on the router. The 6902VS router can be used with the Shark, but it would have to be manually started.

Stan -

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Thanks for the very knowledgeable answer. While we are at it, can you tell me if the Porter Cable 892 has the same set up. I know that the 7518 doesn't have this arrangement because I use a remote safety switch to turn it off and on. Seems like when I was looking into it before the 892 was the router that would need to be used if you wanted to go with variable speed (in the Porter Cable line that is) I wanted to stick with Porter Cable because I had already started my Precise Bit collet series and didn't want to have to re-buy what I had already started with. I guess that seems to be a good safety feature, but I have a problem when too many ideas of safety want to control what and how I do things. (kinda like government LOL) It makes easy things difficult. Wonder if there is a bypass or mod that can be done without loosing the integrity of the variable speed.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

norseman

Post by norseman »

Hi Roger,

The 890 series does not have this feature, we use an 890 out in the shop and it works great! I recommend the PC 890’s to customers on a daily basis. I do tend to agree about the switch, but that’s just the way PC decided to go. I can’t speak to a bypass or modification, which would void the warranty etc…. It’s a nice router motor and variable speed is nice to have, but it may not be the best choice for a machine that needs to turn it on remotely.

Stan -

baby15

Post by baby15 »

norseman wrote:Hi Roger,

The 890 series does not have this feature, we use an 890 out in the shop and it works great! I recommend the PC 890’s to customers on a daily basis. I do tend to agree about the switch, but that’s just the way PC decided to go. I can’t speak to a bypass or modification, which would void the warranty etc…. It’s a nice router motor and variable speed is nice to have, but it may not be the best choice for a machine that needs to turn it on remotely.

Stan -
well that solves that problem with the 690vs. great forum