Router Clamp Needs a Modification

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mdcavanaugh

Router Clamp Needs a Modification

Post by mdcavanaugh »

Just got my ProPlus HD and noticed the router clamp wasn't really gripping the router. After looking at it realized the four bolts holding it down would not allow the clamp to close. I opened up the two holes circled in red so there would be clearance. Loosen those two screws then tighten the clamp which will now close on the router. Retighten those two screws circled in red. All done.
Router clamp.PNG

4DThinker

Re: Router Clamp Needs a Modification

Post by 4DThinker »

I had the same problem. Solved it the same way. Originally would not clamp down on my router enough that I couldn't rotate it by hand. Although opening up the holes helped, there certainly has to be a better engineered way to clamp to a cylinder. For that matter, several aspects of the Shark could be refined to eliminate the most common complaints brought up here. JMHO

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

I fixed my problem with a rotating :D router by gluing a strip of sandpaper inside the cut-out of the bracket.
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Not enough clearance on mine for the thickness of sandpaper. Friction between the router and clamp is clearly needed though. Wish they had engineered a quick-release/quick-clamp adjustable cam lever as is used on the router's base to hold it in. I'd love to be able to quickly take the router out for use off the Shark.