x & y axis

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

pshupe

x & y axis

Post by pshupe »

Is there any problem with switching the x & y axis inputs into the control box? I can't imagine there would be but just thought I'd ask, as I am away from the CNC and will probably give it a try tonight. I don't like having it oriented as it is currently. It seems like it is rotated to be portrait, while the software orients the project to be landscape.

Cheers Peter.

DickL

Re: x & y axis

Post by DickL »

Hi
I have done it on my basic (13 X 24) Shark, but you also have to rotate the gantry or you will get a mirrow image.
There was a thread on the subject.
DickL

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

As Dick points out, it is more than possible. You do have to reverse the gantry orientation in addition to swapping the X and Y cables on the Control Box. If you don't, the carving will be a mirror image.

The post probably was this one - http://cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=509

I've also put together a quick picture of the 2 setups.
Shark Axis Orientation (Updated 27 Aug)
Shark Axis Orientation (Updated 27 Aug)
Hope this helps.

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

It works great . . . I have been running mine this way for a year and a half. I really needed to because I have the extended table and it made no sense the way it was.
My table size 62" x 28"
cb panel and plaque.JPG

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Wow and Wow
Love your setup
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

jeb2cav - I took a look at those diagrams and I think my current setup is almost like your first diagram, but the Y axis is reversed. The -y is to the right, and the +y to the left. I'm pretty sure about that, but the X is the same as what you have in your first diagram. I think your first diagram would have the Z axis with minus up and plus down, no? I don't know this is my first day back to work after holidays! LOL I'll do some testing tonight.

Country Wood Crafts - Thanks - that is a sweet table, is that just an upgrade to the original or something that you did on your own? I'd love to do that as well.

Cheers Peter.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Peter,

I may have gotten the + and - backwards - I have been using mine with the 'reverse' gantry for so long, that I may have 'mis-remembered. Yes, the view is looking down at the table, so there is no mention of gantry carriage (Z) in the picture.

The extended table is an option offered by NWA. You can contact their support directly to obtain a quote, availability and delivery options.

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

Thanks Joe - I was kind of half hoping that one was right because then I would be able to switch the cables and have it work correctly with out undoing all those Torx fasteners again!

Thanks again.

Cheers Peter.

CountryWoodCrafts

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

pshupe wrote:
Country Wood Crafts - Thanks - that is a sweet table, is that just an upgrade to the original or something that you did on your own? I'd love to do that as well.

Cheers Peter.

I bought mine directly from Next Wave . . . Rockler didn't have it but let me in on a rumor that it was one coming up . . .

pshupe

Post by pshupe »

Nice - switched my axis tonight. No problem worked a treat. I'm not sure why they wouldn't want it that way in the first place. I guess it's all perspective. Once I switched it I could see why it was the other way! LOL Oh well it's all better now. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Cheers Peter.