whine when lowering router

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bgrooms

whine when lowering router

Post by bgrooms »

Just got the Mako and got it set up this weekend. Got all the drivers and software installed and decided to hook it up tonight to jog the steppers around. I noticed a hum from the steppers at idle, but from reading another post out here, that is normal. However, when I lower the router, there is a horrible whine the last 3 inches of travel. It seems like it is coming from the threaded rod that the stepper motor turns lower the router, because if I put my finger on that threaded rod, the whine stops or is at least drastically reduced. Has anyone else experienced this?

tonydude

Re: whine when lowering router

Post by tonydude »

You're going to need to lubricate it with silicone spray and that should take care of it. Try it and let us know.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

BobA

Post by BobA »

BGrooms and Tony,

I have had my Mako for a couple of weeks. I replaced my Shark Pro Plus with the Mako. There is noise that the Pro Plus did not have. I use Teflon Silicone lubricant religiously. I believe that the strange noise comes from the stationary plastic support blocks under the shafts rubbing as the axis moves. The lubricant helps but the noise is still there.

Bob

JoDy

Post by JoDy »

I have had my HD since July and I get the whine on the down axis as well. I have to give it a shot of Silicone lubricant at least once a week and the noise goes away. I only get the whine on the down movement not up movement.