Problem with Move to 0,0,0

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Jim Krager

Problem with Move to 0,0,0

Post by Jim Krager »

If I use E-Stop during a carve I have an issue. If I use Move To 0,0,0 right after I use E-Stop the router moves perfectly to zero, but if I then jog the router to move it out of the way to make and adjustment and then use Move to 0,0,0 the Z position changes to about .114 inches lower and pushes the router bit into the wood. Anyone have any ideas about what causes this to happen?

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Problem with Move to 0,0,0

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

A few things to look for mechanically:

First, when you jog the head for your adjustment, be very sure you are not raising it too high and hitting the upper limit. The stepper will think it is still moving upward, but it did not so when it goes back to zero, it will be too low.

Second, be sure that the coupler connecting the Z motor to the lead screw is tight. Check both set screws.

Third, be very sure that the lead screw and guide rods are clean and lubed. Any binding will cause the controller to think the head is in a different position than it actually is.

If these are not the issue, it is likely a controller or firmware issue and you should talk with Next Wave.

Ralph