Controller Not Detected HD4

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ChubbyRooster

Controller Not Detected HD4

Post by ChubbyRooster »

Ok, thought I had blown a fuse, but not the case. The pendent powers up, but the controller is not being detected. Checked all the connections and made sure I had not hit a limit on the gantry. Cycled the power several times, same result, nothing. Ideas?

Rando

Re: Controller Not Detected HD4

Post by Rando »

ChubbyRooster wrote:Ok, thought I had blown a fuse, but not the case. The pendent powers up, but the controller is not being detected. Checked all the connections and made sure I had not hit a limit on the gantry. Cycled the power several times, same result, nothing. Ideas?
Shotgun. 8 Ga.....

Ugh!

You can always open the controller and see if there's a connection loose somewhere.
Try a different USB port (it has to reload the drivers, in case the already-loaded one got corrupted or confused)
Reboot the computer from a cold power-down state.
Uninstall the control panel and driver, then re-install
NWA will try and claim it's a bad USB cable, which I have never once seen in an undamaged cable, but they claim it nonetheless...

Those are what I'd do, but given your working with the fuse, most of the above has probably already been done a bajillion times...

If you don't have an 8Ga, a double-barrelled 12Ga will "fix" it. ;-)

NOT...don't shoot the thing or yourself!

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

ChubbyRooster

Post by ChubbyRooster »

Hey Thom, well I am using a pendent not the computer. I have disconnected and reconnected every cable, I have looked inside the controller (removed cover) and could not find anything lose. Guess I am left with calling tech support on Monday...no projects for me this weekend. :(

Rando

Post by Rando »

Ugh....sorry to hear that. And unlike endmills, it's not really feasible to have a "cold spare" on hand :(.

OTOH, can you plug it into a computer and try it? You don't have to have the steppers connected if you don't try to actually run any code. Just wondering if that produces different behavior, not trying to claim you should switch to using it ;-).

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

rcrick

Post by rcrick »

Did you disconnect the pendent. If you did make sure you didn't bend any of the pins. I had a similar problem chased it for a while then discovered that I had bent a pin. Worth a try.
Rick

ChubbyRooster

Post by ChubbyRooster »

Yes, disconnected the pendent (after the controller quit working), reconnected, and just went a checked the pins. All good there. Very confused. The most interesting part is I had just finished a job, hit stop (was going to be deeper than I wanted). Pulled the piece off, came back in a few minutes to start new project and no controller.

ChubbyRooster

Post by ChubbyRooster »

Rando wrote:Ugh....sorry to hear that. And unlike endmills, it's not really feasible to have a "cold spare" on hand :(.

OTOH, can you plug it into a computer and try it? You don't have to have the steppers connected if you don't try to actually run any code. Just wondering if that produces different behavior, not trying to claim you should switch to using it ;-).

Thom
Thom, I have not done this before so I think the computer replaces the pendent?

ChubbyRooster

Post by ChubbyRooster »

Tried that also, nada, however, dont think I broke anything else.

EMTPJ

Post by EMTPJ »

Any update to this? My HD4 controller keeps giving me the "controller not detected" too.... grrrr I have not even go to use this stupid thing yet, and I already want to set it on fire.

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

When you power up the control box, what is showing on the pendant screen?
You are saying pendant not detected, is that the message on the pendant screen?