Gantry Height

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kabbie

Gantry Height

Post by Kabbie »

I'm setting up my new Shark and have a question about mounting the gantry onto the base. The instructions say, "For standard operation, use the bottom three sets of holes to mount the Gantry Assembly to the Base Assembly. The upper sets of holes can be used if extra vertical clearance is needed." Isn't that backwards? Wouldn't you use the bottom holes to mount the gantry higher and thus provide more vertical clearance? Which holes should I use?

Rando

Re: Gantry Height

Post by Rando »

Nope, they're right. It **is** somewhat counter-intuitive, but essentially boils down to them using imprecise wording. The total vertical movement range of the z-axis CARRIAGE is the same distance, no matter where the gantry is set. Moving the gantry to the upper set of holes moves that big plastic z-axis FRAME higher up, allowing the gantry to get over taller things. In my case, there's a KURT machining vise that the gantry needs to get over, so I'm in those top holes. So it's greater "clearance", but not greater "working range".

Regards,

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kabbie

Post by Kabbie »

I figured out my confusion. The assembly instructions in the Owner's Manual say to use the "bottom" three sets of holes for standard operation (which would put the gantry in its highest position by my interpretation.) I later noticed that the assembly instructions in the 4-page Quick-Start Guide say to use the "top" three sets of holes for standard operation (which lowers the gantry and makes more sense to me.) I guess it comes down to what you want to call top and bottom...I used the "top" holes. 8-)

jrm852

Post by jrm852 »

I'm putting together a HD3 and I'm unsure what holes to use. There is not any mention in my set of directions. There are 5 holes on each side but 3 bolts for each side. I currently have it mounted using the top 3 holes leaving 2 open holes at the bottom. I have no idea if that is correct or the reasoning for the apparent ability to change it. The directions seem to be incomplete.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. Jim

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Read Rando's post.
The only reason to raise the gantry by using the top holes is for larger material. You are not changing the operating range of your Z travel. That is fixed.
Most Sharks I have looked at have the gantry set in the middle holes.
Probably a happy medium for most material you would be cutting.

jrm852

Post by jrm852 »

Thanks. That sounds like a reasonable route to take. Thanks for your suggestion. I will do it.

Jim