New Shark doesn't power up

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Kabbie

New Shark doesn't power up

Post by Kabbie »

I just set up my new Shark HD4. When I power it on, absolutely nothing happens. The motors make no sound and the pendant LCD screen stays dark. I’ve check all of the cables and connections and can’t find anything wrong. The power light on the back of the controller is lit, but the 3 small colored lights on the front of the controller are not (although I don't know if they should be). I did not have the router installed the first time I powered it on. Thinking that maybe the controller needed to "find" the router, I installed it and plugged it into the back of the controller. But I still got no response when I turned the CNC power back on. Don't know what to try next. I've got an email in to Next Wave tech support, so will see how they respond. Maybe someone here has some suggestions.

BobA

Re: New Shark doesn't power up

Post by BobA »

Check the red button in the front of the controller is turned on,

Kabbie

Post by Kabbie »

BobA wrote:Check the red button in the front of the controller is turned on,
Yes, it's on and lights up, so I know I have power.

Kabbie

Post by Kabbie »

Problem solved! Where in the instructions does it say that the emergency shut off button is shipped in the off position...or does everybody but me know that :oops: . Thanks, Bob!

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

It's not necessarily shipped pre-pushed for you, but it's probably worth mentioning in the setup instructions. I know you've figured it out already, but for future readers: the emergency shutoff button needs to be turned/rotated to reset it. While active, it cuts power to the outputs, but not the box itself.

Rando

Post by Rando »

Kabbie wrote:Problem solved! Where in the instructions does it say that the emergency shut off button is shipped in the off position...or does everybody but me know that :oops: . Thanks, Bob!
Emergency Off switches (especially on the Shark's, where it's the de facto power switch) are ALWAYS to be in the OFF position when the system isn't in use.

Glad you figured it out.

And, don't feel dumb. I once hired an editor, while working at Microsoft, who complained her brand-new, corporate-issued PC was broken...until we figured out she was continuing to hold the power button down, which turns it off after 10 seconds...."Just press it and then release it" was the laughingly simple solution :D. We all make silly assumptions along the way somewhere.

Thom
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Rando wrote:Emergency Off switches (especially on the Shark's, where it's the de facto power switch) are ALWAYS to be in the OFF position when the system isn't in use.
My shark's control box has a separate power switch, which is what I use. Don't they all?

Outlaw5852

Post by Outlaw5852 »

I always use the switch on the back of the control box. I only use the "E Stop" for emergencies.