spoilboard size

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

cromag08

spoilboard size

Post by cromag08 »

would like to know the largest spoilboard size while still being able to fully surface it (gantry travel). i'm using an hd3 ext. i'm just getting started and going shopping for mdf. also, what size thickness should i get? do i need to laminate two sheets together? thicker the better for surfacing multiple times? any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

CyberBiker

Re: spoilboard size

Post by CyberBiker »

The HD 3 Extended should have a working surface of about 25" x 50" which would be the maximum size of a spoil board you could resurface. It might be just a tad bigger depending on the size of your re-surfacing bit since I think the working area is measured from the center of the router bit, so a 1" re-surface bit might give you 1/2" more in each direction.

Perhaps a more accurate way to figure it out would be something like this:

loosely center a board bigger than your working area on your machine bed and clamp it down
Put a bit in your router, probably doesn't matter much which one
Bring your machine to the front right corner as far as it will go. Lower the router low enough so that you can mark the center of the bit. Mark that spot on the spoil board.
Bring you machine to the left front corner as far as it will go. Lower the router low enough so that you can mark the center of the bit. Mark that spot on the spoil board.
Bring your machine to the left rear corner as far as it will go. Lower the router low enough so that you can mark the center of the bit. Mark that spot on the spoil board.
Bring your machine to the right rear corner as far as it will go. Lower the router low enough so that you can mark the center of the bit. Mark that spot on the spoil board.

By measuring between these points, you should be able to come very close to what you are looking for.

Perhaps this will help.
Dave
Dave
CNC Shark HD Extended
VCarve 9.0