Water cooled spindle

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Beans2toot

Water cooled spindle

Post by Beans2toot »

I'm ready to get a Shark. I've heard about router noise and the overheating. I've decided if I do this I will want a water cooled spindle. My question is :Are they difficult to setup with the control software? And what kind of challenge am I looking at?
I'm new here and I didn't see this on the forum, if it has already been addressed then give me an FYI and I'll research before asking questions that you are so good at already answerin.
Thanks for all you do.

Barry Anderson

Re: Water cooled spindle

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have water cooled spindles on both of my Sharks, that I purchased from Next Wave. No trouble setting them up and they work fine with the Vectric software, since the software doesn't know what you are cutting with. Lots of good information on these forums. Have fun
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

Beans2toot

Post by Beans2toot »

Barry,
Thanks for your reply. Having fun.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Do you use a spindle from New Age (I assume they sell one?) or one that you've purchased elsewhere? How hard are they to set up?

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

By New Age I assume you meant Next Wave. If so, the answer is yes, and very simple. Change the holding bracket, (new one comes with the spindle), get a 5 gallon bucket for the water, run the tubing, (included) to the pump(included) plug everything in and you're ready to go.
Barry Anderson

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Barry Anderson wrote:By New Age I assume you meant Next Wave.
Yes :oops:

Good job making the leap from two totally unrelated words to what I actually meant to say. :)

bigplns

Re:removing projects from program

Post by bigplns »

I recently purchased a sharkHD4 extended machine and have the Vectric V Carve program. I have downloaded the users manual for the vectric program and am struggling thru it. My question is this: I have no difficulty beginning a new project, but when I want to make corrections it seems that previous information still remains. Is there a process where I can just delete the entire project drawing and start over? I have tried windowing the drawing in 2D and deleting but the 3D window still shows the old drawing. I'm sure it's a simple answer but I just can't seem to grasp how it's accomplished.
Thanks ,
Bigplns

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Bigpins

After deleting everything in the 2D window open 3D window then select the tooplaths tab on far right hand side and pin it so it stays in view

click 'preview toolpaths' icon (first icon last row) then click 'Reset Preview' button the 3D View window will be cleared

Note: the information in the 3D window displays the running/testing/sampling of a tool path

Now you can go back to 2D window and start over with your drawing

Or if you want to start over completely go to file click and select new

Sharkcutup
Last edited by sharkcutup on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

bigpin:
If I understand your question correctly, go to the 2d view, hit control a, and the entire drawing will be highlited, hit delete, and everything should disappear. Even on the 3d view. If your original toolpath is still checked, it will show up on the 3d view. Once you delete the 2d drawing, you can start over. At least it works this way for me.

Sharkcutup is a faster typist than I am, and he always has good answers.

Barry
Barry Anderson

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Beans2toot

as to your question

The Water-cooled spindle is relatively simple to setup/install --- the big major difference is that the control software does NOT control the spindle - you do it -- turn it on/off, adjust spindle rpms, etc... it has it advantages and disadvantages

Advantages
Last longer (no need to change bearings --- water-cooled)
can run for long periods of time
Not nearly as noisy as the hand-held routers
periodically need to change water
Make sure hoses are well mounted to water bucket (or else you will have a mess to clean up)
can adjust the spindle RPM's on the fly (while carving is in progress)

Disadvantages
no software control

I have had my water-cooled spindles 3+ years now and it is still performing exceptionally well.

All is relative to the CNC Shark by Next Wave Automation above there may be some other control software out there that I may not be aware of at this time that may have the capability to control the spindle.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554