Spoil Board pictures

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

OCEdesigns

Spoil Board pictures

Post by OCEdesigns »

I'm still waiting on my HD4 Extended to be deliverd (hopefully on Monday now!) I was hoping I could get some pictures of how you all set up your spoil boards. I have seen many that fit over the entire bed but it looks like it can be harder to clamp things down. I was wondering if you guys keep different sizes of spoil boards for different projects. I am a very visual person so pictures would be great!
Thanks!
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

bill z

Re: Spoil Board pictures

Post by bill z »

I took the easier route with my spoil board. I cut strips of MDF and bolted them down using nylon bolts in case the bit went too close. The strips of MDF can be any thickness and are spaced so I can use the original top to use for my clamps.

Remember, each time you change your spoil board, you should run a surfacing pattern to make sure the spoil board is level with respect to the X & Y router travel.
Attachments
IMG_2865.JPG

WNC_Ed

Post by WNC_Ed »

Bill, totally agree, that is what I did and it works great.
Tell us more about your dust boot.
Shark HD4 EB
Maker of Sawdust

bill z

Post by bill z »

I purchased my HD Shark used and the boot came with it. I do not know where the previous owner got it. It detaches and is held on with magnets. the clamp that holds onto the router is clear Plexiglas and that helps me see if things are going as planed. I did add some stick on LEDs to to the Plexiglas to aid in seeing the cut.

Back to the spoil board: even with this setup, I frequently add some thin plywood to cover the grooves. Depending on the cut, that helps with the vacuum and dust collecting.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

bill z wrote:I took the easier route with my spoil board. I cut strips of MDF and bolted them down using nylon bolts in case the bit went too close. The strips of MDF can be any thickness and are spaced so I can use the original top to use for my clamps.

Remember, each time you change your spoil board, you should run a surfacing pattern to make sure the spoil board is level with respect to the X & Y router travel.
I really like this idea! I will probably do this.
Maker of many chips

BladesNBarrels

Post by BladesNBarrels »

Thanks for the picture.
I think that will be the design I copy for my new Shark HD4.
What surfacing bit do you recommend?
I have the water cooled spindle and it appears from other postings the maximum collet it will take is 1/4"
Thanks!

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

BladesNBarrels wrote:Thanks for the picture.
I think that will be the design I copy for my new Shark HD4.
What surfacing bit do you recommend?
I have the water cooled spindle and it appears from other postings the maximum collet it will take is 1/4"
Thanks!

I also posted in the other thread but here is the bit I will purchase if I finally do a spoil board

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071748JQN/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Maker of many chips