Very out of square adjustments for HD 5

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Thomas.s.

Very out of square adjustments for HD 5

Post by Thomas.s. »

Hello,

I have had my hd 5 for about two weeks now and ran 3 projects so far to test everything out. I am now getting ready to set the squareness but it seems so far off that I’m not sure how I should approach this. It seems like the entire casing needs to be adjusted on the guide rails first?

There is nearly a 1/4 inch gap on one end while the right side pin touches

I cannot seem to find any pictures or videos on making this type of adjustment, and I did not want to start messing with parts before I got some advice... any input would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Tom
Attachments
BED9BCDE-87D9-412D-94F5-67C8CBD577BF.jpeg
240402DA-3E34-4FA5-844C-445AA66F36EF.jpeg

TAW

Re: Very out of square adjustments for HD 5

Post by TAW »

Have you lined up a pc of material in line with the table and ran just a straight line carved next to edge of material to see how bad it really is?
you said you ran a few projects--- how did they turn out?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

TAW is on the right track. It may be as simple as correcting the tilt on your router once you've figured out how bad it is. Bill Z has a good description of how to measure and correct that here:

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4684

Thomas.s.

Post by Thomas.s. »

My projects came out pretty well but they were small. The one larger v carving I noticed very faint lines for each pass. My initial thought was it was out of square... then the stl files I ran seemed to have come out almost perfect.

Next wave sent me a diagram and I have it set much better now. It’s within a 16th of an inch, but I have yet to run anything on it...it was much simpler than I thought it would be

I did not receive any type of in-depth manual when I received the machine which was kind of a bummer...thanks for the responses
Attachments
231B50BE-9D40-41F4-81A5-8C25E9A11181.jpeg
D2FA7466-0831-4182-8ED9-F132876C6828.jpeg
B2F6CE87-1E2F-4290-A804-FBA4C18CC0D7.jpeg

Thomas.s.

Post by Thomas.s. »

Here is a link for what next wave sent me. Hopefully it can help someone else out in the future.
https://p13.zdusercontent.com/attachmen ... GHuTzB-_zA

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Those are beautiful! Nicely done.

Thomas.s.

Post by Thomas.s. »

Thank you! I can’t wait to start my next one. I now understand the addiction!

Teddybill

Post by Teddybill »

Thomas:
I have been searching for days for this document. You are wonderful

Rando

Post by Rando »

Only problem with this is that the last step, shimming the spindle "pitch" angle, isn't how it should be done, even if it's the only way feasible. Reason is that just changing the angle of the spindle motor doesn't help if the gantry itself is tilted by the weight/cut, and the spindle doesn't move up and down precisely normal to the surface of the bed. Depth-of-cut lines on the walls of pockets result. My system that replaces all the plastic from the gantry forward trams pitch by a set of slotted screw holes that allow direct tramming at the gantry bearing blocks.

Also, looking more closely, even the first part, aligning the vertical slide plate to the bed, is wrong. the RAILS have to also be true, so you need to align the box that holds the z-axis slides ALSO. Just sayin'....I had to carefully consider exactly how to tram properly, and it's not as simple just shimming the spindle vertical angle.
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)