Question about Shark SD110

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

arlonine

Question about Shark SD110

Post by arlonine »

I just received a new Shark SD110. After playing around with it a little, I discovered that the back part of the bed is unusable. The router will not go back far enough to reach about the last 6 inches. So why do they advertise it as 12x18? Am I being stupid and missing something here? Anyone else have this problem? Can I build an extension on the front of the table to use the space there?

Thanks
Ron Grossl

Rando

Re: Question about Shark SD110

Post by Rando »

arlonine wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 pm
I just received a new Shark SD110. After playing around with it a little, I discovered that the back part of the bed is unusable. The router will not go back far enough to reach about the last 6 inches. So why do they advertise it as 12x18? Am I being stupid and missing something here? Anyone else have this problem? Can I build an extension on the front of the table to use the space there?

Thanks
Ron Grossl
Yeah, that's one of the fun little secrets they don't let on. The BED dimensions are as stated, but the WORK ENVELOPE dimensions lack not only the 6" at the back, but 2-1/2" on each side as well. Nope, you're not going crazy with it. ;)

Extending it is a nightmare and a half, because you end up having to extend the rails and the leadscrew and the base and....you eventually rebuild the entire machine :(
=====================================================
ThomR.com Creative tools and photographic art
A proud member of the Pacific Northwest CNC Club (now on Facebook)

arlonine

Post by arlonine »

Thanks for the reply, Rando. Well, I am still have a lot of fun with, but that is a little disappointing. They should make that clear from their product descriptions.

Ron

arlonine

Post by arlonine »

Well, I just looked at the Next Wave page describing this machine and it does say that the XYZ travel is 12"x13"x3". So I guess I can blame myself for not reading closer. Its certainly not a deal breaker for me, as I want it mainly for decorating box sides and lids. I think I can make longer signs by making some indexing holes to move the work piece after cutting the first half of it. Does that sound reasonable?

Ron

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Absolutely. As long as you keep alignment, it works great. In fact, VCarve even supports feeding your workpieces through like that.

rockenb

Post by rockenb »

I just got my shark sd110. I am trying to use the touch pad but the bit keeps pushing down where I have to manually stop it. Is there a tutorial anywhere on how to setup the touch pad??

THANKS

tamky69

Post by tamky69 »

mine does the same am i missing something

tamky69

Post by tamky69 »

SETTING UP HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE?

Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Newbie here just saying hi. I also just got a new SD110. Never played with CNC before.
I'll probably be asking lots of questions.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Did you register your touch plate?
Attachments
59d161_e70c2e26d39d4744b8a3adf49d4bccbc.pdf
touch plate manual
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 226 times
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.