Spindle Motor Questions from a Nube

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

GeorgiaJeepDude

Spindle Motor Questions from a Nube

Post by GeorgiaJeepDude »

Just finished setting up my Shark HD510 and I have a couple question about the water cooled spindle.

1) The instructions have the spindle powered from an independent outlet, not from the controller outlet. The E-Stop now stops axis movement and does not disable the spindle motor. Is there a way to connect the drive into the controllers estop circuit?

2) Is there a way to control spindle speed through software, or is the only option available the manual start/stop and speed control on the drive panel? The drive has a RS485 port. Can this be used to control the spindle motor?

This nube thanks you.

sharkcutup

Re: Spindle Motor Questions from a Nube

Post by sharkcutup »

1.) You could install one of these like I did with my setup. Mine is in a convenient location for Emergency cutoff of everything!
20915-11-1000.jpg
2.) I added a relay switch control between control box and inverter for turning on/off the spindle with a NEW Modified Post Processor with a DELAY added at startup for adjusting spindle speed prior to carving. Once Spindle is turning I can adjust spindle speed as required during carving operations.

I made the adjustments noted above because at the time my CNC machine was still under warranty did not want to mess with anything internal voiding the warranty. Plus who knows what may have occurred in making changes internally!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

ssgadams

Post by ssgadams »

I talked with tech support and they are coming out with a connector for turn on/off and speed control.

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

I received my spindle yesterday. It has a special cable that connects to the controller. So, it must be available now. Check with support to see if there is an upgrade available.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

wmlutz

Post by wmlutz »

Could you please post photos of the spindle interface cable so that the rest of us that already spent $800 for the spindle can get this working? Next Wave won't sell the cable assembly nor will they provide wiring information. If you could provide a photo of the VFD wiring for this new interface cable as well as some photos of the 20 position connector which plugs into the controller that would be very much appreciated. Thanks